1. Welcome to Political Irish. Guests may post but all posts are restricted to approval. Why not open a free account and join our other members and post without restriction. Click Here to sign up!

$10000 to invest. Zero or 1 million in 5 years.

Discussion in 'Economy' started by Youngdan, Nov 29, 2015.

1. OP
    Youngdan

Youngdan Moderator Staff Member Moderator Political Irish Donator

The HL earning were nice, just a little better than expected. As long as silver does not go below 20 dollars I am happy out. I added 1201 shares of GSS at 0.75449 to the 2000 I already had for a total of 3201. I am simply leveraging up my profitable positions as more margin becomes available with each rise. I am not adding to any short position as they are all losers at the moment. This is a very simple strategy and as long as the trend does not reverse I am golden. I must have the discipline to sell if it goes wrong. It sounds easy and I suppose if you have no emotion and a bit of luck to catch a wave it is easy

Tadhg Gaelach likes this.
  2. OP
    Youngdan

Clearly the employment numbers hurt me badly. All 17 of my positions are badly against me. CDE and HL have come back numerous times when hit so I will consider this a blip, though a large one.

3. OP
    Youngdan

well not only did they bounce back but they have both hit new 52 week highs today. Things are certainly going my way. Even my shorts went my way today. However IAG did a nasty selloff of 10% today.
    http://finance.yahoo.com/quote/IAG?p=IAG

These pricks puled the same stunt GPL did a few weeks back that prompted me to sell all of them I had. Maybe I should do the same now with IAG while I still have a nice profit

4. Malcolm

Malcolm Well-Known Member Political Irish

Hi ~Dan, ive asked D4 the same question is his thread and was wondering if you could give me a reply too?

Ive noticed sterling has been falling recently, down to 1.16 against the Euro, any reasons why? And do you think it will rebound?

5. OP
    Youngdan

I would opine that when the Bank of England announced a large, and larger than expected, round of Quantitative Easing after Brexit it pushed down the pound. I would note that Brexit pushed it far down but it was recovering nicely, that was not pleasing to those powerful people who were preaching Brexit ushering in all sorts of doom so the easing was announced to in fact bring on the hoped for doom. Then a few days back it was announced that their interest rate target was being lowered from 0.5% to 0.25% with the expected future cut when and if needed, soon to follow.

It you are trying to trade currencies, I would urge you to cease and desist as your heirs would like to have something to inherit. Trading futures of any kind is guaranteed to lead to ruin.

Years ago I described the relationship between the pound, dollar and euro.
    They are like an old man of 97, 98 and 99 lying in 3 hospital beds side by side. One has cancer, one has kidney failure on dialysis and the third guy has bad diabetes. You can analyze the prognosis and wager that the cancer guy will die first, and indeed you could be about tp collect your winning but then one of the other two gets a heart attack and croaks. That is the situation with these 3 currencies. All 3 are clearly dying but which one is weaker on any given day is a toss up. Then you have to watch out for the heart attack. The pound got a heart attack with brexit but pulled through. A bank failure like DB or a big Italian bank for example could prove to be a fatal heart attack for the euro. The dollar of course has by far the best defibrillation machine so may survive all but a massive heart attack.

However, none of these suckers are ever going to get laid again

Malcolm, Tadhg Gaelach and Art like this.
  6. OP
    Youngdan

Having more buying power but unwilling to chase the miners, I instead sold short 26 shares of O at $68.80.
    My shorts have all gone against me, let's see how this one does.

26 shares, not 68 shares, edit

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    Tadhg Gaelach and Malcolm like this.
  7. OP
    Youngdan

Those paying attention will know that I suffered punishing losses practically every day for 2 weeks now. Today so far offering some relief. Tomorrow is the big day. I have not made any trade since the one above. My value here has gone from roughly 60g to 35g in 2 weeks

8. Goaty

Goaty Well-Known Member Political Irish

If you are going to gamble on the market, stock exchange and have no moral compass. You should gamble on the Irish stock exchange. You can't lose. We paid gamblers despite them losing at the table. Resulting in mass emigration, mass unemployment and mass suicide.

9. OP
    Youngdan

That was mighty white of you Irish people.
    GO RATH MATH AGAIBH.
    Did I say that correctly.

Tadhg Gaelach and Goaty like this.
  10. Goaty

Goaty Well-Known Member Political Irish

Its go raibh maith agat. :)

11. Olli Rehn

Olli Rehn Posting Legend Political Irish

You wasted all your time on sucking in mad stories about "Bathhouse Barry and Michael" or Hillaries health. You lost the ball by paying attention to this bullshit.
    Time to read business reports, economics and watch the stock exchange again without taking notice of those idiotic politicans.
    About your stock : What goes down- must come up !

ergo2 likes this.
  12. OP
    Youngdan

Is agaibh not plural. Agat is singular.

13. ergo2

ergo2 Well-Known Member Political Irish

Any chance of getting this thread back on track.
    Sorry for your losses YD
    Tomorrow is another day and all that?

14. OP
    Youngdan

There is no need for sorrow as of yet, though that could come tomorrow at 8.30 am EST. I am still far ahead of where I started. I have put in $12,100 and it is worth about 38000. It was above 60000. I am extremely margined at about 38%. I did not think that was even possible but my shorts added some cash along with the debt I guess.

Even if tomorrow goes against me, I still might struggle on as time is in my favor imo.

15. Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach Posting Legend Political Irish Donator

Not a bad day for you today a chara.

16. OP
    Youngdan

A good day which clawed 2900 back. Despite another fed mouthpiece today talking hawkish, the feeling is now that there will be no increase before December. By then the economy will be clearly in trouble as real estate bubbles have already burst in Vancouver, Aspen, The Hamptons and who knows where else that I don't know of.

It is back to playing a waiting game now, and time is on my side. It will take time of course for these to regain their recent highs. Monday is a holiday here so I am sitting far prettier tonight than Icould have hoped for 24 hours ago.

17. OP
    Youngdan

The markets were closed Monday but Tuesday saw tremendous gains for me to the tune of 6100 dollars in this account. CDE raced ahead 10.5% today alone.

http://finance.yahoo.com/quote/CDE?p=CDE

A lot of people will have been panicked out of this when it went from 16.5 to 12.5 and now it is sprang back to near 15 dollars. They will be very dejected and must decide whether to buy back or just forget about it. I am still well down from my peak of about 60g but I was at 35g just a very short time ago.
    It is easy to have nerves of steel when I am up so much but still it is not nice to see so much money evaporate.

My shorts are still well down but BBY and HD both had a bad day today and a softening economy will sink both imo.

That is small potatoes against my longs. Silver is right back at 20 dollars and better for the dip. Gold despite weeks of bashing is still 1350 dollars. Time is on my side and if I had margin here I would plough deeper but I don't. I am tempted to add cash but I won't on this account anyway but may elsewhere. I intended to put 10 g in here but have $12100 in as it played out with margin calls

18. ergo2

ergo2 Well-Known Member Political Irish

Thanks YD.
    I feel with all this un certainty that gold will improve.
    I think you support Trump.

I think he would be a disaster for US and for the rest of us

19. OP
    Youngdan

I reason you think that is because every time you pick up a newspaper or watch the news, you are told he is an idiot etc etc etc.

Well guess what, the media is filing you with lies and bullshit. Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia has nothing on the Land of the Free when it comes to lies and propaganda.

We are told that Hillary is healthy when in fact Stevie Wonder can see that she should be on a trolley in an Irish hospital corridor.

This election is not about Trump, Donald Duck would get the support he has.
    The question is between lies and fakery, and real and honesty.
    Simple as that

20. Art

Art Well-Known Member Political Irish Donator

As the song The Gambler says "Never count your money while you're sitting at the table" :)

Meanwhile - The first prediction on Apple's new offering being less than inspiring looks like it was on the button.

And this despite their major competitor Samsung's battery troubles.

If the iPhone 7 fails to impress next year Apple are history in the mobile phone market.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016