1. Welcome to Political Irish. Guests may post but all posts are restricted to approval. Why not open a free account and join our other members and post without restriction. Click Here to sign up!

$10000 to invest. Zero or 1 million in 5 years.

Discussion in 'Economy' started by Youngdan, Nov 29, 2015.

1. OP
    Youngdan

Youngdan Moderator Staff Member Moderator Political Irish Donator Battle Royale

After much chin scratching and pondering more shorting, I instead just added another 222 shares of HL at $4.9253 a share so now I have a total of 6336 shares. I would love to have 10000 shares but of course I am already very lopsided to a very risky stock here that could seriously hurt the effort. But as always fingers crossed that silver at 17 bucks is cheap, (and will not get cheaper)

Tadhg Gaelach likes this.
  2. OP
    Youngdan

I am happy enough with how today worked out but it could have been better.
    I was actually trying to short either BZUN or NDSN as they both reported after the close. Anyway I got neither and instead bought HL. I was trying to short about $2000 of either but did not have enough margin.

Sure enough both fell over 10% after the close and I missed out on them. I should just short upcoming earnings.

3. OP
    Youngdan

Yabadabadooo.
    Waking up to nice news on earnings from LOW.
    Too bad I was not short more but I am looking at a nice boost today. Hopefully giving me the margin to short something else .

Tadhg Gaelach and maxflinn like this.
  4. OP
    Youngdan

Shorted a couple of grand worth of dollar tree DLTR. Hopefully that will be a turkey as well. Details later

5. OP
    Youngdan

So I shorted 29 shares at 74.35 of DLTR. The earning are reported tomorrow.

6. OP
    Youngdan

Well shorting DLTR did not work out too good as it jumped about 10% and ended the day up $4.61, which was not good. However nearly everything else went my way and I am feeling good. I was up $760 on the day and I had feared being down. So now I have again more buying power should I decide to try shorting a different upcoming earner tomorrow. I really think anything to do with real estate is a serious short here as I taste a building burst, at least here in Massachusetts where I have never seen such building as is ongoing at the moment.
    Pile on baby, it is the chance of a lifetime.

DLTR : Summary for Dollar Tree, Inc. - Yahoo Finance

HD : Summary for Home Depot, Inc. (The) - Yahoo Finance

LOW : Summary for Lowe's Companies, Inc. - Yahoo Finance

Deflation would wipe out both of these suckers, HD and LOW

7. OP
    Youngdan

Yabadabdoozi baby.
    I had a great great today with my miners. HD and LOWS went against me as expected with the storm but gold and silver are looking good.

8. Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach Legend Political Irish Donator Battle Royale

Hope you have a poster of the Respected Marshal over your bed :cool:

9. OP
    Youngdan

My Dear Respected Marshall is certainly a fantastic ally and benefit to my well being.

Earning at BB have again hurt me this morning but of course everything else will likely go my way, even LOW looks weaker but HD likely will rise some more. I certainly will short some more if I can this morning.

Please keep the Respected Marshall safe so that he can keep talking, I am getting to grealty appreciate his voice.

10. OP
    Youngdan

Hahaha. BY getting crushed despite good earnings.

11. OP
    Youngdan

BBY : Summary for Best Buy Co., Inc. - Yahoo Finance

That's more like it. However I would point out that I am short 158 shares and I am still down $2873 on the total position and that is by far my biggest loser. On that volume today though, I hope the stock has been badly injured. I did nothing today but maybe tomorrow I will.

12. OP
    Youngdan

Taking another flyer on a retail earning being reported tomorrow. I sold short 41 shares of DG at $76.02. That maxed out my buying power and would have gone bigger if I could.
    I am hoping for deflation.

13. OP
    Youngdan

14. Tadhg Gaelach

Did Trump's speech tonight do you any good?

15. OP
    Youngdan

I did not listen.

16. Tadhg Gaelach

There wasn't much in it - he was supposed to talk about planned tax cuts but he didn't say much.

17. OP
    Youngdan

18. OP
    Youngdan

The market is closed Monday but the futures are down and gold is up about 9 dollars. I still have a heck of a lot of gold mining shares even though I unloaded a lot of them. Perhaps I should consider buying some of them back as gold could be on the verge of blastoff. The sooner the better before my options expire. Come on you fat fool, you can do it.

There are many other reasons for gold to rise of course, the economic situation here is really not to good despite the surface strenght.

19. OP
    Youngdan

I had a good day today but it was mainly due to CDE and HL.
    Despite the market being well down, HD and LOW and others were up. The storm in Texas helped and now a giant storm far stronger could hit Florida and wipe the place out.

This reminds me of the storm that popped The Florida Land Bubble in the 20s, which should be studied by anyone interested in investing. These 2 storms will be positive for these companies but will wipe out a lot of real estate investors. Another this that will kill real estate is the fact that there is a huge scam in real estate now with indians and other assorted shysters renting nice places and using them as airbanb flophouses basically. That and Uber are two ideas that have seen their best days.

It is all coming crashing down here imho.

20. OP
    Youngdan

It is nice to see silver above 18 dollars an ounce. It could be hit with a squeeze perhaps with a bit of luck. It hit 54 dollars the last time it was almost cornered in 1980. It has got to be dirt cheap here, fingers crossed.