• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • To post you need to register an account and await approval. Click Here to sign up!

58% of Russians regret the demise of the Soviet Union

Tadhg Gaelach

Legend
Donator

Gennady Zyuganov, who was the rightful winner of the 1996 Russian Presidential election.

Great to see that the Russian people are still able to see past all the lies and propaganda and know what they lost in 1990. The most interesting part about this, however, is the survey result from 1992. Even then 66% of Russians regretted the passing of the Soviet Union. That figure went up to 75% in the year 2000. And that stands to reason. We know know that Yeltsin stole the elections of 1996 though massive electoral fraud - helped by the Clinton Régime. The real winner was Communist Party leader, Gennady Zyuganov.

Nostalgia for the USSR

Last edited:

Irish Warrior

Donator

Gennady Zyuganov, who was the rightful winner of the 1996 Russian Presidential election.

Great to see that the Russian people are still able to see past all the lies and propaganda and know what they lost in 1990. The most interesting part about this, however, is the survey result from 1992. Even then 66% of Russians regretted the passing of the Soviet Union. That figure went up to 75% in the year 2000. And that's stands to reason. We know know that Yeltsin stole the elections of 1996 though massive electoral fraud - helped by the Clinton Régime. The real winner was Communist Party leader, Gennady Zyuganov.

Nostalgia for the USSR
They're nostalgic over Stalin too.
He was seen as a father figure to his supporters and is romanticised like some Irish do the traitorous Sinn Fein here.
I've been to a lot of Stalin and Communist museums and exhibitions over around that area.
Very peaceful places but very poor also.

OP
OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Legend
Donator
Communism is incompatible with human nature and behaviour.
Nobody is stopping Commies live a Commie lifestyle, but it should not be enforced.
It's much like political Islam in that sense.

Well, this is a kind of mantra that Capitalists always like to chant. But how did Capitalism come about? Did people spontaneously start to believe that Capitalism was the only viable human system (after two million years of human evolution without it)? Or was Capitalism enforced on the people through massive violence - like the Irish Holocaust that drove the people off the land and into the factories of England and North America? And if Capitalism is so natural to human beings - why does the USA have to have two million of its citizens in jail? And a massive police state to keep the rest of the population under control.

El Chaval.

Respected Member
Well, this is a kind of mantra that Capitalists always like to chant. But how did Capitalism come about? Did people spontaneously start to believe that Capitalism was the only viable human system (after two million years of human evolution without it)? Or was Capitalism enforced on the people through massive violence - like the Irish Holocaust that drove the people off the land and into the factories of England and North America? And if Capitalism is so natural to human beings - why does the USA have to have two million of its citizens in jail? And a massive police state to keep the rest of the population under control.

I think if I was a serf living under a Monarchy, I'd support your cause.
If I'm living in a fairly democratic, economically progressing, society where there is order and social welfare for the truly needy already....maybe not so much.

I think a country should be run much like a family, which is neither Communism nor Capitalism.
Dont assume everyone who opposes Communism is a rabid Capitalist.

OP
OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Legend
Donator
I think if I was a serf living under a Monarchy, I'd support your cause.
If I'm living in a fairly democratic, economically progressing, society where there is order and social welfare for the truly needy already....maybe not so much.

I think a country should be run much like a family, which is neither Communism nor Capitalism.
Dont assume everyone who opposes Communism is a rabid Capitalist.

I don't assume you're a rabid Capitalist - I've seen enough of your posts to know you're not. But in that post above you seemed to be falling for the line that Capitalism exists because it's human nature. In fact it isn't human nature. It requires massive media propaganda, educational system brainwashing and state violence to keep it in existence. It required sheer terror and genocide to set it up in the first place.

I also agree that a country should be run like a family. To my mind, families are really very communal.

El Chaval.

Respected Member
I don't assume you're a rabid Capitalist - I've seen enough of your posts to know you're not. But in that post above you seemed to be falling for the line that Capitalism exists because it's human nature. In fact it isn't human nature. It requires massive media propaganda, educational system brainwashing and state violence to keep it in existence. It required sheer terror and genocide to set it up in the first place.

I also agree that a country should be run like a family. To my mind, families are really very communal.
Yes, families are communal, but they are also competetive and contain individual spirit.
The idea that all the brothers must face the same future, even when some brothers are more intelligent and hard working is unheard of in families.

Help the sibling who lost his job or was evicted by all means, but if one of them is lagging or being a sloth, then he/she need to deal with it.
The complete lack of personal responsibilty in Communist countries would drive me crazy.
Who would paint their house, hang some hanging plants or prune their hedge is it was State owned.
Some maybe, but not many. Where is the feeling of reward and legacy?

OP
OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Legend
Donator
Yes, families are communal, but they are also competetive and contain individual spirit.
The idea that all the brothers must face the same future, even when some brothers are more intelligent and hard working is unheard of in families.

Help the sibling who lost his job or was evicted by all means, but if one of them is lagging or being a sloth, then he/she need to deal with it.
The complete lack of personal responsibilty in Communist countries would drive me crazy.
Who would paint their house, hang some hanging plants or prune their hedge is it was State owned.
Some maybe, but not many. Where is the feeling of reward and legacy?

That's unheard of in Communism also. Rank is very important in Communism. But, there is really no need why a George Soros should have tens of billions of dollars - he really isn't that much more intelligent and hard working than the average man. Again, in Capitalism if you are work shy you get the dole. In Communism you get sent to a gulag.

As for personal responsibility, houses in Romania and Hungary and Yugoslavia were very pretty and well done up. Perhaps some of the apartment blocks had problems but this is also a problem in Capitalist countries. I visited a friend in a private apartment block near Saggart and the pot holes were so big in the pavement around the block that I had to attempt to drive around them. The last place I saw this was in present day Romania - but on the main roads. I see that as a matter of management.

But, it's not necessary to take an all or nothing approach to this. A lot of Irish land is not suitable for collectivisation - so it would be better to leave small farmers on it. I have no problem with people owning their own homes either. I would be satisfied if we had "the commanding heights of the economy" as Lenin put it, under national ownership - banks, transport, energy, etc.

OP
OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Legend
Donator
All that said, I don't actually expect bourgeois Westerners to look up the facts and figures and decide that Communism is for them. That's not how things work. What I do see happening in the West is Communist groups forming Corporations, which will allow them personally to live a Communist life. A Corporate Communism - something like the Lenin State Farm run by the Communist Party candidate in Russia. It's now a private corporation and has a turnover of 70 million dollars a year and provides a Communist lifestyle to all its workers, with free heath care, education, subsidized housing - and twice the average industrial wage. Of course, you can't send anyone to the gulag, but you don't need to - you just send them back to Capitalism.

The Lenin State Farm

Last edited:

El Chaval.

Respected Member
The average monthly salary in Cuba today is less what it was 1 month before Batista was overthrown.
I mean the same, not with inflation considered.

Cooperatives are a great idea -- in theory.
The fact that they haven't come to dominate the economy would indicate that they're not the most efficient structure of ownership.

But once they're not in receipt of government subsidies or granted some other state privilege that gives them an unfair advantage, I'm all for them.
Perhaps some alternative structure of ownership will emerge in the future that's a hybrid of the shareholder model of ownership and a cooperative.

My take on things is evolutionary to core: it's either adaptive or it isn't.
If an alternative ownership model turns out to be far better than the traditional one, it'll be propagated (like an advantageous genetic mutation) and spread like wildfire as others rush to adopt it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Legend
Donator
The average monthly salary in Cuba today is less what it was 1 month before Batista was overthrown.
I mean the same, not with inflation considered.

And what do you think it might be if Cuba didn't have 40 years of a US embargo and constant CIA terrorism and subversion? But how are you calculating that salary?

In general infant mortality rate is considered a good indicator of population welfare. Under Batista the infant mortality rate was 80 per thousand. Now it's 5.17 per thousand.

Cuba Infant mortality rate, 1950-2017 - knoema.com

OP
OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Legend
Donator
Obviously, Communism is a live issue now considering that a Communist Party is in charge of the world's largest economy and it's very likely that Russia will return to the Communist Party after Putin's retirement. Indeed, Russian industry, banking, oil and media have more or less already returned to national ownership under Putin. The Communist Party won't have that much to do. I expect that the pendulum is swinging back to the Left in South America also. If Lula was allowed to run again in Brazil he'd win. The fact that the Capitalists are so desperate to stop him running shows how weak they are.

Last edited: