1. To post you need to register an account and await approval. Click Here to sign up!

Book recommendations on the Druids?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by SwordOfStCatherine, Sep 22, 2017.

1. SwordOfStCatherine

SwordOfStCatherine Legend Political Irish

Can anybody recommend good books on the Druids? I don't mind far out but I'm not looking for anything "New Agey" or from modern revivals of "Druidism" and the more academic integrity the better.

2. Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach Legend Political Irish Donator

I don't actually know of any such book, but this looks like a serious book.

The Druids

The best way to study is Druidic mindset is to read the ancient Celtic texts - including the Brehon Laws. What is usually called Celtic mythology is actually Celtic theology. These are stories of how the Druids understood the Gods, and how they understood the concepts of right and wrong. The legal texts are particularly important. It is often said that religion is just how people do things. Well, the laws set out how the Druidic mind felt things should be done. Of course, the Brehon Laws fill up many more volumes than the Bible, so its not so practical to set out to read all of it, but reading sections will give you a real insight.

3. OP
    SwordOfStCatherine

I have Gods and Fighting Men by Lady Gregory which I really enjoyed but I had to wonder whether the various characters in the Tuatha De Danann were really ever considered "Gods" as such. When did Brehon Law go out of use?

4. Tadhg Gaelach

As far as I'm aware, the first mention of the Tuatha Dé Danann in the literature is in the Labhar Gabhála Éireann from the 9th century AD. So we are getting it through the writing of Christian monks. But it's clear that they weren't just making it up themselves. These stories fit in perfectly with all other tales of the Indo-European Gods all over Europe and Central Asia. This transition from the Gods of an indigenous people to the Gods of the conquers is also found in the Rig Veda, and I'm sure many other texts.

Brethon Law was actually in use in Ireland well into the 17th century. The Elizabethan Conquest ended its open use by the Gaelic lords, but it continued on a more informal basis as this is what the majority of Irish speakers understood law to be. It lasted much longer in Gaelic Scotland where there was no large scale dispossession of the Gaelic lords. The painting below is in the Scottish National Portrait Gallery, and it's of the MacDonald of Slate in 1774, standing on the Cnock an Eirick (the Hill of Pleas). Here the Gaelic lord hears the pleas of his people according to the ancient Gaelic custom.

[​IMG]
    There's a little write up on the painting at the end of this blog page.

HEADS UP

5. Dublin 4

Dublin 4 Legend Political Irish Donator

[​IMG]

This is from Peter Bereford Ellis' "The Druids" - a great Book.

6. OP
    SwordOfStCatherine

Where did you get that photo of Churchill? That's gas.

I'm waiting for weird sexual secrets of Winston to come out one of these days.

7. Tadhg Gaelach

Lol. Here's Queen Elizabeth being invested into the Order of Bards by Welsh Druids.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Dublin 4

Peter Bereford Ellis' "The Druids".

TG did a horrifying Thread on Churchill- it is the Abyss.

The most horrifying & depressing thing I've ever witnessed in my life.

I've stuff on the Rothschild Matrix more horrifying but not as depressing.

9. Tadhg Gaelach

Just on the question of the Bards. There were, as far as I remember, four distinct orders of the Druids. The Bards and the Filidhe were two of them. So there really has never been a cut in the tradition of the Druids. The poets have maintained their tradition unbroken.

10. Dublin 4

So have the Lawyers, Doctors, Inventors & Economists.

11. OP
    SwordOfStCatherine

You know the expression "You couldn't make it up"? Well you literally couldn't make Churchill up.

If I was to make a propaganda film for the physical force Dissos what I would do is go over Churchill and than show all these British people saying great things about him.

12. Dublin 4

If only they knew... :rolleyes:

Antóin Mac Comháin likes this.
  13. Generation Snowflake

Generation Snowflake Member Political Irish

I went looking for that druids book, having seen all your freemason types in druid ceremonies and I find this historian

William Winwood Reade - Wikipedia
    Seems to have written some interesting books along with this.

Freemasonry And The Druids - W Winwood Reade : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive
    The veil of Isis, or, Mysteries of the Druids : Reade, William Winwood, 1838-1875 : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

Im a little confused now, is this mostly larping. I mean the freemasonary and druids stuff.

BTW Wheres the chuchill thread, couldn't find it sorry.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  14. Tadhg Gaelach

I'm just looking through that Freemason book. There were any amount of different orders in the Roman Empire and they might all have fed into Free Masonism in one way or another. It's certainly not beyond belief that Druidism had an influence. After all, it was a very secretive code. The Gaulish Druids wouldn't even write down their texts, though we know they were able to write - and even write in Latin. There are law books in Irish on how to build mills and other constructions, so we know the Druids were keenly interested in technology. I'd say Free Masonism is more of an Eastern idea, but it could well have taken certain influences from Druidism.

15. Antóin Mac Comháin

Antóin Mac Comháin Respected Member Political Irish

'Stone Returned to Scotland - In 1996, 700 years after it was taken by Edward I, England agreed to return the Stone of Scone to Scotland. On St. Andrew’s day, a Scottish holiday, the stone was brought to Edinburgh and installed at Edinburgh Castle. Historical Context: The Stone of Scone and Arbroath

The Stone of Scone has been used in coronation ceremonies since Kenneth Mac Alpin became the first King of Scots in 847. The stone’s origins are mysterious; it has been reputed to be the pillow of the Bible’s Jacob or blessed by St. Patrick, among other legends. Elizabeth Windsor -Druid Princess?'

It's not book, but there's a film about this stone An Ceasnachadh - Interrogation of a Highland Lass - Post No.8 on the Calls for Gaelic language to be awarded Unesco status thread.

An interesting fictional book about Druids and whatnot is the The Oak Above the Kings: A Book of the Keltiad: Patricia Kennealy ... which is summarized briefly here: The Keltiad

What makes the book interesting is that in real life 'Kennealy-Morrison served as an advisor on Oliver Stone's 1991 movie The Doors, and played a small role in the film as the High Priestess who marries the Jim and Patricia characters (portrayed by Val Kilmer and Kathleen Quinlan).. Stone admitted that the character named after her was a composite of several of Morrison's girlfriends and regretted not giving her a fictional name. In the film her character is referred to as a "Wicca Priestess", but Kennealy-Morrison identifies as a Celtic Pagan, not a Wiccan.' - Patricia Kennealy-Morrison

The double barrel surname is due to the fact that in real life she was the character portrayed by Quinlan. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think
    the Oak was the Clan symbol of the Morrison, and Kennealy Gaelic O'Cinnfhaelidh meaning literally "Head wolf.''

The history of the Somerleds referred to in the Morrison link stretching back as far as King Somerled is documented on the Ashanti, Choctaw, Gaelic or Irish? thread.

SwordOfStCatherine likes this.