1. To post you need to register an account and await approval. Click Here to sign up!

Catalonian Independence News

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Antóin Mac Comháin, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach Legend Political Irish Donator Battle Royale

I'm not really sure what the Catalonian desire for independence is even based on. They speak basically the same language as Spanish, they have the same blood and more or less the same culture and religion. It seems to be more of a reaction to the smug Francoite Fascists that are usually in power in Madrid. I can certainly understand the Basques wanting independence as they are a genuinely separate people.

2. SwordOfStCatherine

SwordOfStCatherine Legend Political Irish Battle Royale

Tadhg Gaelach likes this.
  3. Plasticpaddy

Plasticpaddy Member Political Irish

It's a hollow,pyrrhic victory for Madrid,therefore no victory at all.The Independence movement of Catalonia have the moral victory.By using brute force,instead of allowing the referendum,they have come across as stupid bullies.

Tadhg Gaelach and maxflinn like this.
  4. Kershaw

Kershaw Legend Political Irish Battle Royale

5. El Chaval.

El Chaval. Member Political Irish

They are hopelessly divided on ideological grounds.
    From the wacky anarchists/open borders types to the tofu eating/liberal/open border types.
    I've no confidence in Catalonia independence as the radicals are a hopeless bunch of libtards.

6. El Chaval.

El Chaval. Member Political Irish

Yer man will run a mile when the first cop is whacked (if ever).

7. SwordOfStCatherine

SwordOfStCatherine Legend Political Irish Battle Royale

Thanks for that- even though looks stupid at the moment I take the sleeping bull of Irish Republicanism very seriously, I also take Welsh Nationalism seriously however I see Scottish Nationalism as a joke. I haven't made up my mind about the situation in Catalonia. Things can change very rapidly so we shall see.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  8. Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach Legend Political Irish Donator Battle Royale

Yes, it's difficult to take the Scots seriously when they refer to their National Movement as "the Indy Movement." Do they think National Sovereignty in a playground game?

9. Kershaw

Kershaw Legend Political Irish Battle Royale

Protesters take to the streets of Barcelona as Spain's PM moves to impose direct rule over Catalonia and police prepare to arrest region's president if he declares independence

Thousands of pro-independence Catalans took to the streets of Barcelona this afternoon

Spain's Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy said he would curb the powers of the parliament of Catalonia
    In a press conference, Rajoy said his government had taken this unprecedented decision to restore the law

Rajoy also proposed having central government ministers assume the powers of Catalan regional officials

State Attorney General confirmed 'a complaint is being prepared for rebellion' against the President of the Generalitat of Catalonia, Carles Puigdemont

The charge of rebellion could see Puigdemont face up to 30 years in prison if found guilty

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5003425/Attorney-General-prepares-ARREST-Catalonia-s-president.html

10. OP
    Antóin Mac Comháin

Antóin Mac Comháin Respected Member

"Two basic principles which are not negotiable, the unity of our country and the sovereignty of the Irish people" - Dáithí Ó Conaill

I think the Catalonian Referendum is comparable to the 1918 General Election but not to the Scottish Referendum. I can't see how the Scottish can't have a 2nd Referendum on Independence, if and when a clear majority indicate that they wish to do so. Within the context of Irish Republicanism, unity in the political sense of the term, would only become negotiable when a clear majority of a singular unitary vote indicated that partition is what they wanted, and that can only happen if an All-Ireland vote was held on unity, and less than 50% voted for it.

An All-Ireland vote which produces a resounding majority, will vindicate the Republicans of the 1920's, the 1930's, the 1940's, the 1950's, the 1960's, the 1970's, the 1980's, the 1990's and the 2000's, who have always claimed that they were acting in defense of an established democracy.

11. OP
    Antóin Mac Comháin

Antóin Mac Comháin Respected Member

''..the leadership of the IRA was a long way from this kind of thinking. Brugha was concentrating on the Anti-Conscription campaign..'' - Bowyer Bell

If you read the Propaganda of An t-Óglach from the 4 months prior to this, you will see who was egging people like Breen on to carry out unauthorized attacks, when the leadership were steering the Movement towards a mass campaign of civil disobedience: The Counter-revolutionaries such as Ernest Blythe.

12. Plasticpaddy

Plasticpaddy Member Political Irish

The Spanish government insist on playing the bull and acting like rebirths of Franco,but they are only strengthening Catalonian independence.Now the moment of truth is coming and the Catalan matador will finish off el torro.