1. To post you need to register an account and await approval. Click Here to sign up!

Do we live in a hologram? Some think we may.

Discussion in 'Science' started by Quantum, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Quantum

Quantum New Political Irish

Our universe certainly seems real, but in recent years a growing number of scientists have begun to wonder if it’s all just a sophisticated simulation. Are we and everything around us nothing more than points of data in some sort of cosmic hologram?

A group of celebrated scientists, including Neil deGrasse Tyson, will sit down on Tuesday for a serious discussion of what may sound more like a sci-fi movie plot than reality.

[​IMG]

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFEbJQY16Io

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/universe-simulation-live-debate_us_5703d091e4b0a06d5806e344

NASA Scientist Says We Are Living In A Hologram Designed By Aliens

http://www.higherperspectives.com/n...a-hologram-designed-by-aliens-1429975824.html

This theory is difficult to understand but at least people are attempting to explain how the universe works, which is an amazing mystery. I suspect it's beyond our capability to understand, so all we can do is come up with models and analogies. In addition to trying to find out how it works, we also want to know why. There are hints and clues, but always some doubt as well, which leaves us free to choose.

Plasticpaddy likes this.
  2. Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach Legend Political Irish Donator

Nobel winning physicist Leonard Suskind put forward this theory about ten years ago. I think he was the first.

Fragarach and Dublin 4 like this.
  3. OP
    Quantum

Quantum New Political Irish

Yes you are correct, quite a few theories on this now, its an interesting concept and it is one that has as much merit as the other ideas bouncing around. But like string theory it is almost impossible to prove.

Tadhg Gaelach likes this.
  4. Tobias

Tobias Member Donator Political Irish

If its all a simulation, what does the repercussions of that have on our idea of "free will"? Are we simply an observer going down a set path with the illusion of options & no control over the final outcome? Or do we have the ability to shape/change/mold the simulation?

Is my consciousness finite to this holographic reality or is this just a phase that is but one tiny piece of my overall experience?

I have been extremely interested in these sort of views on reality for a decade now, after first discovering string theory, dissociative drugs & the astral plane which sent me deep down the rabbit hole & gave me a deeper personal insight into the dream realm, altered states of consciousness & my understanding of reality.

The further i go down this path & try to understand/comprehend my own experiences slowly but surely the dots start to connect. Yet im still stuck with feeling like the decisions & choices i do make are pre-destined, lessons my consciousness/soul/being chose upon/were assigned to me as a way of consciousness/spiritual growth.

Fragarach and Tadhg Gaelach like this.
  5. Olli Rehn

Olli Rehn Legend Political Irish

6. Dublin 4

Dublin 4 Legend Political Irish Donator

[​IMG]

The EU was just funny dream- oh no, I've less to laugh at in life now... :confused:

7. Finished Symphony

Finished Symphony Member Political Irish

[​IMG]

I'd well believe it. Clearly some of Ireland's politicians are living in some kind of bizarre Matrix most of the time anyway. They need to find Neo to save them and finally come in to reality.
    [​IMG]

GodsDog, Tadhg Gaelach and Fragarach like this.
  8. Fragarach

Fragarach Member Political Irish

Many religions and philosophies have taught a similar concept, proposing that the life of this world is an illusion. For example, verse 57:20 of the Qur'an states that "the life of the world is but matter of illusion."

This conclusion however can be reached through simple apriori reasoning. Consider for instance the statement made famous by Sun Tzu, which says "Warfare is deception". Many other great and learned men, from many times and places, have also said this in as many words. Consider also the saying made famous by Seneca "Life is warfare." This again has also been said by many others. If we accept both statements as true, and they are generally accepted to be true, then what conclusion must we reach? If we accept that warfare is deception, and if we accept that life is warfare, then it must follow that life is a deception.

9. Fragarach

Fragarach Member Political Irish

This is really more a matter for philosophy than for science.

10. Tadhg Gaelach

Here's Professor Susskind on the universe as a hologram.

Dublin 4 likes this.
  11. Plasticpaddy

Plasticpaddy Member Political Irish

If life is an illusion,I can't help thinking it's a very painful one sometimes.Lets remember illusions are real e.g. A mirror.

12. GodsDog

GodsDog Member Political Irish

Some highly intelligent aliens created a huge and no doubt very expensive simulation
    just to watch 7 billion monkey AI's mostly just wanking themselves stupid?
    They must feel really foolish!

maxflinn and Tadhg Gaelach like this.
  13. Setantawatchl

Setantawatchl Member Political Irish

And if it's true wernt they the mischievous ones inserting gays and foreigners and racists into the same platform.

14. Tadhg Gaelach

I think he's only referring to intelligent life, so don't worry you're not included.

GodsDog and maxflinn like this.
  15. Setantawatchl

Setantawatchl Member Political Irish

Not worried in the slightest
    Perhaps the truest post you ever written though

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  16. GodsDog

Enda looks like he's trying to have it off with miss piggy again in VR! :p

17. GodsDog

Modern physics has lost it's way and is vanishing up it's own arsehole in my opinion.
    And I say that having studied physics at university.

None of these kind of conjectures can be related to empirical experimentation in any meaningful way
    so in this sense they have become decoupled from the scientific method and hence can no longer be considered actual science.

Once you start down this slippery slope you can come up with any old bullshit you like as long as no experiment is possible
    in the foreseeable future to contradict it. But meanwhile you still keep getting your grant cheques of course!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  18. Finished Symphony

Finished Symphony Member Political Irish

The hands are a give away right enough - poor virtual Mary.

GodsDog and Tadhg Gaelach like this.
  19. GodsDog