1. To post you need to register an account and await approval. Click Here to sign up!

General William T. Sherman - Mass Murderer, War Criminal, Ethnic Cleanser

Discussion in 'World History' started by Tadhg Gaelach, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach Legend Donator Battle Royale Political Irish

[​IMG]
    It's strange that today so many Liberals want to tear down statues of General Robert E. Lee, who was a man of high moral standards, a humanitarian, and an ingenious military commander. These Liberals are not calling for the removal of statues of the real war criminal of that whole period - William T. Sherman.

Unlike Robert E. Lee, Sherman was not a gifted military leader. He was an extreme egotist who often alienated those around him. He was feared rather than respected. Sherman would have been a nonentity in military history - except that he did bring one innovation to the war history of the English speaking peoples. He took the genocidal methods that the English had developed in Ireland - and he inflicted them on people of Anglo-Saxon origin. As with Edmund Spenser in Ireland in the 1500s, Sherman believed that the sword could not kill enough of the enemy - only by starving the civilian population of the South could the Union secure victory.

The war crimes of Sherman and his gang in Atlanta are well documented - starvation of the civilian population, mass rape, wholesale theft and destruction of property - all with the intention of demoralizing the Southern population to the point that they could no longer resist.

But, it's not on Sherman's bestial war crimes during the Civil War that I wish to direct my attention, but on his continued war crimes and Holocaust of the Native American population. After the Civil War and the victory of the Union, Sherman was considered a "hero" by the Yank elites. And they had another job for him. This time it would be a more classical English campaign against a Native people, i.e. to use mass starvation to break the will of the people to resist.

Sherman understood that it would take a very long time indeed for the US Army to defeat the Native Americans on the field of combat. Despite Hollywood movies, the Native Americans did not run around wagon trains waiting to be shot. They were outstanding military strategists, who used the terrain they knew so well to devastating effect. The "Plains Indians" were a warrior society. A young man could only make his way in the world by proving himself on the field of battle. They were fearless in battle - but not stupid of their lives. They carefully chose the time and place that they would attack, and they always had their withdrawal from the combat well planned in advance. They were remarkable horsemen, and could endure almost superhuman levels of physical exertion and endurance. Apart from that, they were often well armed with the latest rifles. There was no gun control, and many traders shipped rifles from the East to the Plains to sell to anybody who would buy.

All of this being the case, Sherman understood that these people could literally keep fighting forever - and probably would do so. But, not if they were starving. Sherman did not directly attack the Native Americans, but as he had done in the Civil War, attacked the food supply. He orchestrated a wholesale slaughter of the buffalo herds.

Article 2 of the Genocide Convention defines genocide as
    ...any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:
    (a) Killing members of the group;
    (b) Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group;
    (c) Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;
    (d) Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;
    (e) Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.

Sherman set out to inflict conditions on the Native Americans which he calculated would bring about the physical destruction of the group as a whole - not just the military forces of the group. By starvation he calculated that sexual reproduction would be impossible, thus preventing births within the group. Of course, he also directly killed members of the group, but that was not his main method of genocide. He also carried out direct ethnic cleansing, by moving Native American populations off their ancient lands and into Concentration Camps - euphemistically called "reservations." These Concentration Camps were on the worst land - often in swamps - which led to mass death by disease.

Without a doubt, if any of those hung at Nuremberg deserved to die, then so did this evil maggot of a man. But, in our world, only the defeated are subjected to war crimes trials. The victors write the laws.

This is a detailed article on Sherman's war crimes against the Native American population.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  2. SwordOfStCatherine

SwordOfStCatherine Legend Battle Royale Political Irish

Myles certainly is capable of choosing strange heroes.

Tadhg Gaelach likes this.
  3. OP
    Tadhg Gaelach

Yes, it's really incredible. I don't know what he could be thinking of.

4. Tadhg Ó Raghallaigh

Tadhg Ó Raghallaigh Member Donator Battle Royale

"We are not only fighting armies but a hostile people, and must make old and young, rich and poor, feel the hard hand of war."

"War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and those who brought war into our country deserve all the curses and malediction a people can pour out."

When you view both enemy combatants and civilians with equal and such utter contempt, you are unfettered to prosecute a war by any means necessary. Lincoln, Grant and Sherman paved the way for millions of dead in subsequent conflicts and the death of the American Republic.

A pox on the lot of them.

5. The Potato Mystic

The Potato Mystic Legend Battle Royale Political Irish

He's a nihilist. He's just trolling Tadhg Two as you do.

6. SwordOfStCatherine

Has Tadgh One trolled Tadgh Two? Tadgh Two is a respectful poster, actually Paleo-Conservative types like him are my the type of American that I find it easiest to get on with in general because are outright opposed to US Imperialism, don't get offended if you look down with disdain on US trash culture and also tend to be down to earth and cultivated people. Yes I think some of their beliefs are crazy but they aren't trying to impose them on Celtic Lands so that aspect of them doesn't really bother me. They are also capable of being genuinely insightful in a way that is extremely rare for other Americans.

No I think it was about trolling myself. I recall defending fleggers flying the Battle Flag of the Confederacy during the War of Northern Aggression against Republicans attacking them for doing so, now I attack fleggers all the time but I only do so with rationality and justice (and also with loving concern), though in general I despise the United States I do feel a strong connection with the Scotch Irish of Appalachia (I really love Bluegrass and as well as stuff like Sacred Harp music), and it was they who probably suffered most from the Yankee carpet bagger capitalists and their occupational government (these people weren't slave owners- the war wasn't fought over slavery).

7. The Potato Mystic

The Potato Mystic Legend Battle Royale Political Irish

"as you do" is not a reference to anyone specifically.

8. Tadhg Ó Raghallaigh

Yes, but it's generally funny and good-natured trolling. It takes a hell of a lot to get my goat.

Myles may play the sick little monkey, but he's alright in my book.

Myles O'Reilly and Tadhg Gaelach like this.
  9. Tadhg Ó Raghallaigh

That's spot on and very insightful. The peace was lost during Reconstruction which served to install a twelve-year military dictatorship in the South, thus engendering generations of hatred and economic privation. It's not for nothing that Mississippi didn't celebrate 4th of July for 70 years.

I envy Southerners, from their history and culture, their pride and genteel nature down to their accents.

10. Myles O'Reilly

Myles O'Reilly Respected Member Donator Battle Royale Political Irish

Tadgh's usual hissy fit at something he disagrees with. This time its someone's avatar lol.

While your at it sissy boy, why don't you chuck in all the Confederate generals who were at the same thing before the Civil war.

11. OP
    Tadhg Gaelach

Your avatar simply reminded me to do a thread on this war criminal. I already have a thread on the war criminal Churchill. Don't be such an egomaniac.

12. Myles O'Reilly

How about the Confederate generals Tadgh?

13. OP
    Tadhg Gaelach

Of course you are free to do threads on them.

14. Myles O'Reilly

Look at the time you took to write an OP like that because someone put up an avatar you don't like. That's seriously sad dude.

Ain't you got a life outside of here?

15. SwordOfStCatherine

I consider a Dixie to be really a separate Nation to the rest of the United States. So did T.S. Eliot;

"May I say that my first, and no doubt superficial im-
    pressions of your country I speak as a New Englander
    have strengthened my feeling of sympathy with those au-
    thors: no one, surely, can cross the Potomac for the first
    time without being struck by differences so great that their
    extinction could only mean the death of both cultures. I
    had previously been led to wonder, in travelling from
    Boston to New York, at what point Connecticut ceases to
    be a New England state and is transformed into a New
    York suburb; but to cross into Virginia is as definite an
    experience as to cross from England to Wales, almost as
    definite as to cross the English Channel. And the differences
    here, with no difference of language or race to support
    them, have had to survive the immense pressure towards
    monotony exerted by the industrial expansion of the latter
    part of the nineteenth and the first part of the twentieth
    century. The Civil War was certainly the greatest disaster
    in the whole of American history; it is just as certainly a
    disaster from which the country has never recovered, and
    perhaps never will: we are always too ready to assume
    that the good effects of wars, if any, abide permanently
    while the ill-effects are obliterated by time. Yet I think that
    the chances for the re-establishment of a native culture are
    perhaps better here than in New England. You are farther
    away from New York; you have been less industrialised
    and less invaded by foreign races; and you have a more
    opulent soil. "

16. Myles O'Reilly

Says the guy with a Gaddafi avatar LOLlllllllllllll

17. OP
    Tadhg Gaelach

Gaddafi was never a war criminal.

SwordOfStCatherine likes this.
  18. Myles O'Reilly

He was of course correct. Collins said the same thing when he said "war is murder, sheer bloody murder". Commandant Thomas Barry also said on such tactics "The British went down into the gutter to destroy us and down into the gutter after them we had to go".

19. Myles O'Reilly

Tell that to Enniskillen, La Mon, Birmingham etc

20. OP
    Tadhg Gaelach

What are you saying you silly muppet. Al Gaddafi didn't carry out those bombings. Al Gaddafi gave weapons to Irish Patriots to carry out a just war against the English occupation of our land. He cannot be held accountable for any mistakes the IRA made. That would be like saying that any country that gives weapons to another country is accountable for everything done with those weapons. As it happens, it's highly unlikely that Libyan weapons were used in Birmingham or La Mon.