1. To post you need to register an account and await approval. Click Here to sign up!

How do you define trolling?

Discussion in 'Chat' started by SwordOfStCatherine, Oct 18, 2017.

1. SwordOfStCatherine

SwordOfStCatherine Legend Battle Royale Political Irish

It is word that gets thrown around so much these days that it is becoming as essentially meaningless in contemporary usage as the words "Liberal" or "Fascist".
    I define trolling as saying stuff on the internet to wind people up deliberately.

Tadhg Gaelach and maxflinn like this.
  2. maxflinn

maxflinn Legend Donator Battle Royale Political Irish

On a political website like this a troll is someone who does not discuss/debate political issues but instead discusses other posters who do.

3. anderson

anderson Respected Member Battle Royale Political Irish

4. Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach Legend Donator Battle Royale Political Irish

I think trolling is when you go out of your way to flame other posters. One of the favourite methods of the trolls on this site (who are fortunately only a handful) is to ask a question of a sincere poster. That poster will usually put a lot of effort into giving them an answer - and then the trolls will just ask the same question again as if they had never received an answer. This can go on ad nauseam, as trolls usually suffer from arrested intellectual development. Another version of this is to make a completely inane and usually erroneous statement. When the error of this statement is pointed out by well meaning and intelligent posters, the troll will simply repeat the inane statement as if it was the first time he had thought of it. I do say "he" as all the trolls here are all male. In short, we can say that this form of troll suffers from an "as if" dementia.

A special category of troll is one that never posts anything at all regarding politics, but simply posts comically inane posts about other posters. I do say comical, as the sheer banality of these posts invariably produces an effect between chuckles and vomit. Sometimes the two together.

5. OP
    SwordOfStCatherine

Would see "flaming" as different from trolling?

I admit that I have made the odd, and I do mean very occasional, flaming post over on the other because when you are dealing with some of the biggest blinkered gobshytes in Irish history it is a temptation that is hard to resist.

There are a two characters here though who seem to do nothing to flame and make snide remarks. I would consider them to be full on trolls.

Ire-land and Tadhg Gaelach like this.
  6. Heraclitus

Heraclitus Member Political Irish

Just so everyone knows, a mildly challenging counter argument doesn't constitute trolling.
    Certain unnamed individuals can label it trolling and pretend to put people on ignore all they like, but they're not pulling the Stalin themed pillowcase over anyone's eyes but their own.

7. OP
    SwordOfStCatherine

I don't consider you a troll as such though I do think you have on occasion engaged in flaming both here and on P.ie, I haven't done here but I have been guilty of doing so over there. Your posting style however can be a tad aggressive at times.

Ire-land likes this.
  8. Heraclitus

Nonsense, I'm a picture of serenity.

9. OP
    SwordOfStCatherine

Oh okeidokie than....would abusive as opposed to aggressive to be okay with you than?

10. Heraclitus

I engage in a spot of flaming here and there, which may be construed as "abusive" by some of the more sensitive souls about the place. :smilie-devil:

11. The Potato Mystic

The Potato Mystic Legend Battle Royale Political Irish

Trolling is posting something with the end-goal of getting a rise out of them.

Whilst trolling does happen on this site of course. I also think there's people with very acute personality issues who's output has the same result as trolling.

Trolling is a mandatory part of a forum experience, it's a sign of good health actually. As long as it doesn't exceed, say, 5-10% of the forum output, I'd say roll with it. If it exceeds that general bandwidth, then moderation is called for.

Tadhg Gaelach and maxflinn like this.
  12. Youngdan

Youngdan Moderator Staff Member Moderator Donator Battle Royale Political Irish

Grow up ye fools. If you disagree with someone's viewpoint then just ignore them on that one issue or entirely. The site looks ridiculous from endless days of crying.

13. Myles O'Reilly

Myles O'Reilly Respected Member Donator Battle Royale Political Irish

There's no such thing imo. There's people who can't take slagging and even counter arguments to their own. In order to ease their troubled mind they label the other person a "troll". Its just an escape mechanism for weak people with weak arguments who can't handle their silly little apple cart (World view) being upended.

We have a cohort of whinge-bags on here who by their own definition would come under the ultimate troll umbrella yet they aren't even aware of it.

Its shocking to hear that the Moderators on this Site get up to 20 reports a day, no doubt from the same small group of fragile inveterate nobodies who's aim is to shore up this Site as a propaganda machine for their own bizarre agendas. Such posters and their beliefs should be taken apart and dismantled as opposed to protected.

Paddy Porter likes this.
  14. Toby Carlton-Hogge

Toby Carlton-Hogge Member Political Irish

Correct and right Myles,then these people have the brass neck to consider others who point this out to be trolls.

One can't debate in a vacuum with Mr Google, so I would suggest the management take a hard look at where this site is going, take a look at the input of say, the last 10 newbies, did they 'train on or get pissed off and go away ?

Inveterate nobodies is a very apt description Myles,this site is used as a vehicle and an expensive one at that to platform their frankly bizzare agendas which the ordinary poster has little or no interest in.

Pity it has to be said, but sometimes the truth is best.

Myles O'Reilly likes this.
  15. Setantawatchl

Setantawatchl Member

You should get that written into the rule book like a good boy

16. Youngdan

Youngdan Moderator Staff Member Moderator Donator Battle Royale Political Irish

Many here complaining about trolls, are themselves people who were banned from P.ie for trolling.

Why I myself, have been accused of trolling by a fellow that just posts ridiculous images of complete nonsense in a never ending stream rubbish which is not aimed at any discussion whatsoever.

This site was set up by the owners as an open forum where ever viewpoint, regardless of how idiotic it might seem to others, would be given a voice. It is to be a virtual manifestation of Hyde Park Corner.

The early posters were made aware of this, but seem to have forgotten it.

17. maxflinn

maxflinn Legend Donator Battle Royale Political Irish

Don't talk rubbish. You've not made one post on this forum that wasn't a critique of another poster (s) or of the moderators.

You're only here to shitstir!

18. OP
    SwordOfStCatherine

Toby now I would class as a troll as such though not a very good one.

Tadhg Gaelach, Ire-land and maxflinn like this.
  19. Ire-land

Ire-land Legend Donator Battle Royale Political Irish

Trolling is done to undermine the integrity of a site, and has zero to do with differences of opinion, free speech, etc., etc., the things often bandied about in their defense. We have a few trolls on here.

The other category is WUMs, wind up merchants, people getting a rise, flaming, etc. They aren’t trolls as such, but if they’re determined enough to wind someone up, it can be effective trolling of that individual.

We have a moderator who falls into the second category, which really isn’t good for the site, as neutrality in any form of governance is imperative.

Tadhg Gaelach likes this.
  20. Ire-land

Ire-land Legend Donator Battle Royale Political Irish

You're not a troll, because you do offer opinions, and details and reasons for those opinions. You’re a bit of a WUM, and that’s your prerogative, though it does let you down as a poster imo, as I’d have thought that sort of childishness should be beneath you.

SwordOfStCatherine likes this.