1. To post you need to register an account and await approval. Click Here to sign up!

How do you define trolling?

Discussion in 'Chat' started by SwordOfStCatherine, Oct 18, 2017.

1. OP
    SwordOfStCatherine

SwordOfStCatherine Legend Battle Royale Political Irish

What do you see as the difference between a WUM and a troll?

2. OP
    SwordOfStCatherine

I know this will be controversial but I honestly like Heraclitus. Sometimes he can be extremely informative and insightful, plus he has a genuine sense of humour. I will give him that even though I disagree with him fundamentally on oh so very much. Besides the flaming though he does have a habit of being over the top aggro in a lot of posts. Still the thing is that I never met a Libertarian who was in any way humble or one who even if beneath the surface was deeply puzzled as to why the vast majority of the world or at least those with two brain cells to rub together didn't see things the way that they did.

Ire-land likes this.
  3. Ire-land

Ire-land Legend Donator Battle Royale Political Irish

I think as I said in that post, a troll is focused on undermining the site. Whereas a WUM is more focused on winding individuals up, or getting a rise out of them, but can and does result in trolling of an individual, as their goal then becomes undermining that individual.

I think they’re very different things, but I’m not sure if that’s coming across.

SwordOfStCatherine likes this.
  4. Myles O'Reilly

Myles O'Reilly Respected Member Donator Battle Royale Political Irish

What baffles me is how people can't restrain themselves from this so called 'flaming'. If you see someone is deliberately trying to rise you, why rise to it? I thought it was only children who couldn't control themselves and needed their Mother to come and save them?

Its utterly bizarre to me how on an anonymous fukking website grown men can't handle someone taking the pish.

5. Ire-land

Ire-land Legend Donator Battle Royale Political Irish

What’s far worse than that, Myles, is that a grown would see taking the piss out of people on an anonymous website, as a valuable use of his life.

6. The Potato Mystic

The Potato Mystic Legend Battle Royale Political Irish

Well, giving my perspective as a normal person -- if two normal people are trying to have a conversation and some bizarre arm flapping third party starts throwing lego pieces and dingleberrys in the direction of those normal people - that can get a tad frustrating for the normal people whom are trying to have that conversation.

So that's where the frustration comes from.

7. Youngdan

Youngdan Moderator Staff Member Moderator Donator Battle Royale Political Irish

Does the ignore button not work for some posters. There is no such thing as a wind up merchant. I you read something that you strongly disagree with either ignore it or give your opinion.
    I presume to wind a person up is to make them angry. The fact that someone would be bothered about the opinion of some completely unknown fellow thousands of miles away is the most ridiculous thing imagionable.
    Take Hereclitus, for example. I read and enjoy any of the posts I come across. However I do not know anythong at all about this poster. He could be male female, black whitr, young old, I have no idea where he lives. Dame with Tadge. I know nothing about him at all except he went on vacation so I guess he is in his 20s, but that is a guess. I know zero about nearly everyone.
    I know The other Tadge lives in California, I am in Dedham Massachusetts. Nothing he could say outside of the proscribed personal abuse would bother me. He is an unknown poster 3000 miles away

Myles O'Reilly likes this.
  8. OP
    SwordOfStCatherine

Look the point is that Troll is an unclear term.

In some ways you are a Liberal- in some ways you are anything but Liberal.

Asking what people mean when they say troll is fair enough. I'm not asking for anyone to be banned- but I do think the word is thrown around a bit to much.

9. Youngdan

Actually there are people asking for people to be banned but they are too scared to admit it.
    To them, a troll is anyone that considers their point of view to be idiotic.

Myles O'Reilly likes this.
  10. Toby Carlton-Hogge

Toby Carlton-Hogge Member Political Irish

Excellent and erudite post Daniel, bang on the mark.

Now let's break it down.

You have been accused of trolling by a guy who just posts ridiculous images .....etc etc.

The question needs asking 'Why is that guy not warned, taken to task, and failing to comply, ejected.

Why?

As I see it, the site had all the right ideas, but failed to understand that like the owner of a new pub in town, would attract all the gobshites,madmen, bores, lunatics, jerkoffs,tossers ,screwballs who have been banned from the other competing forums .

As YoungDan a mod I respect and understand, intimated, this place is out of control.

Sorry Dan if I overstated that, but there is a problem

Question for the Management.. No doubt when you started around 2015 you had some projection of membership and active users in late 2017 ?

I would sincerely doubt that under one thousand and under 100 would be part of those projections.

The question then is Why?

I think I know why, others know why, but will the penny drop.

Probably not.

11. Youngdan

A quick reply Toby, as I am engaged in commerce at the moment with a spare minute. The poster can post away to his hearts content on the Korean thread. I just ignore it. There is now another korea thread so I am happy. He is happy. Everyone is happy as they will see less of both threads.

But he can blair away his view as much as he pleases. I believe that is what the site owners wish.

12. maxflinn

maxflinn Legend Donator Battle Royale Political Irish

Don't be fooled by this Toby character, Dan.

He only seeks to sow disharmony here.

He doesn't give a shit about this forum and has never - not once - ever posted about any political issue.

All he does is moan about other posters many of whom have kept this forum going when it was quieter.

Dublin 4 and Tadhg Gaelach like this.
  13. Paddy Porter

Paddy Porter Member Political Irish

That is a bag load of bollix Dude ...don't let yourself down all the time ?

14. Toby Carlton-Hogge

Of course Dan, but that particular poster is not whom I had in mind.

What I am exercised about is that posters like that and others , have targeted people like myself, Pat Porter, and even your good self, a well respected mod,and Myles , with virulent abuse as to our pointing out the problems here.

Heres the question

we have an excellent site here, but two years on only 800+ members and an extremely unbalanced hard core of ' contributors'.

Id have to ask WHOY ??

15. Paddy Porter

Paddy Porter Member Political Irish

Good question Hogge...This is a fine site .....one I would be very comfortable expressing my views in ...from a site design aspect.
    A well designed and administered site like this should have three times the membership it currently has .
    One can only conclude that a cabal of very active posters with extreme views have basically fcucked up what should be a very popular site and are severely stunting it's future growth potential.
    I have some experience in this area and will be suggesting to site owners as to how this might be addressed .

Basically the site will never grow to full potential until this matter is tackled ..trust me on that one ...

16. Setantawatchl

Setantawatchl Member

Hmmm normal

Anyhoo

There's loads of styles, people post links others plagiarize cut and paste, use flowery language. Some people are black and white, one side wrong one side right. Some people pretend to support one group but are really haters of another.....etc
    My style is I like calling out the liars and the smug. The liars and the smug ignore or boycott when called out, hey it works.
    Trolls are probably those of a different opinion if they can categorise some one they can demonise them then feel a whole lot better

17. Toby Carlton-Hogge

Yes Porter, sums it up.

would be an awful shame if a small cabal of headbangers brought it down or made it unworkable.

Luckily we have sensible lads like Dan who can see the storm clouds gathering.

18. Dublin 4

Dublin 4 Legend Donator Battle Royale Political Irish Political Irish

There is only 1 Troll on the Site- with 1 Sock Account (he's paid for both) there is also a harmless & amusing Parody Account, were the user has decided to drop the parody quite a bit & post as they see matters.

There is also an awful creature- truly classless, who isn't a Troll but who mouths obscenities (usually when "drunk") albeit amongst some reasoned & acceptable viewpoints & who wants the Site regulated by Soccer Hoolligan Standards.

It's great to see so many new Members in such a Young Site with such few Trolls.

I couldn't thank the Mods & Posters enough for giving me a Platform for our Number 1 Thread by over 8,000 Views - not about Immigration & our Number 3 Thread - not even about Politics! In Love

Go raibh mile...

Sure It's great to be alive! great leps or

19. Youngdan

I recognize that possibility Max, and yes, even though I might think that some posters, on just a few issues (one basically) are very foolish, I and more importantly the owners I feel, will well remember the lean times and who carried the can then.

So I think they should be allowed to rattle on, nobody is forcing me or anyone else to read the thread. There is another thread that I and others can use to our hearts content.

20. Myles O'Reilly

Myles O'Reilly Respected Member Donator Battle Royale Political Irish

As opposed to what? You think your waffling online is a serious construction? Are you a naïve teenager or someone without a life trying to construct an alternative "you" on the internet because nobody in 'real life' will take your ramblings seriously?

I watched in disbelief when that wind up merchant Asif blatantly took the piss (which I found extremely amusing) and you totally lost your rag and screamed that he should be banned!

What in the name of Christ are you lily livered faggots afraid of? Are your (our) arguments that weak that you turn Snowflake and can't handle dissention?

As the other poster referred yesterday (was it Heraclitis?) I am still totally in the dark as to what this lego and berries reference means. You've posted such for weeks now and we're none the wiser???

As to the two 'normal people'........LOL! If you think your blatant bog-ass attempts at trying to sound sophisticated renders you normal, P J, then I'm afraid our rural school system needs to start to instil confidence in its children about their heritage rather than whatever the holy fukk they did to you.

Christ above help us :(