1. To post you need to register an account and await approval. Click Here to sign up!

How Putin, Khamenei and Saudi prince got OPEC deal done

Discussion in 'World Economy' started by Tadhg Gaelach, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach Legend Political Irish Donator

[​IMG]

Putin and Russia are increasingly sidelining the morally, intellectually and economically bankrupt US régime in the Middle East.

Russian President Vladimir Putin played a crucial role in helping OPEC rivals Iran and Saudi Arabia set aside differences to forge the cartel's first deal with non-OPEC Russia in 15 years.

Interventions ahead of Wednesday's OPEC meeting came at key moments from Putin, Saudi Deputy Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and President Hassan Rouhani, OPEC and non-OPEC sources said.

Putin’s role as intermediary between Riyadh and Tehran was pivotal, testament to the rising influence of Russia in the Middle East since its military intervention in the Syrian civil war just over a year ago.

Exclusive: How Putin, Khamenei and Saudi prince got OPEC deal done

2. TheWexfordInn

TheWexfordInn Respected Member Political Irish Donator

I cant really understand how OPEC thinks it can get oil prices up because as soon as their cuts in production cause the price to increase US Shale production will immediately ramp up which will put a ceiling on prices irrespective of what OPEC wants.
    Any oil price rigging cartel will only work if it gets the US on board and its pretty hard to imagine that ever happening.

3. Art

Art Member Political Irish Donator

The US will want to get as much money for its oil as it can and so it will suit them to limit output. For example this 4.6% reduction in supply has already led to a 10% increase in oil prices. Selling less for more is an attractive proposition for all oil producers.

Tadhg Gaelach likes this.
  4. TheWexfordInn

I would have thought that the point about the US shale production is that it is produced by a myriad of competing organisations without any overall control or co-ordination meaning that anyone attempting to get some across-the-board limit on production would be engaged in an exercise not dis-similar to herding cats.

And that's if there was some central authority that was minded to and capable of providing this co-ordination and I don't believe there is.

I foresee that US production will go up and down in direct correlation to the price available which will in effect enforce a floor and ceiling on the market price.

5. roc_

roc_ Member Political Irish

Trump is in as President. A complete coup for the imperialist ambitions of Russia, Iran and Saudi Arabia. And all the others.

Make way for everyone and their aunt take advantage of a second rate, possibly third rate intelligence, over the next four years.

Not for any wider general interest, of course. Purely for their own ambitions.

6. TheWexfordInn

Dont think that Trump has said anything about Russia since getting elected.
    We will wait and see what he says as President and how that compares to what he said as a candidate.
    The possible appointment of Mitt Romney as his number one foreign affairs man suggests that the foreign policy of President Trump will not be identical to that suggested by Presidential candidate Trump.

Tadhg Gaelach likes this.
  7. maxflinn

maxflinn Legend Political Irish Donator

Translation:

Trump is in and while he will be very nice to Israel he may put a stop to the Zionist Neocon's plans to continually destroy Israel's perceived enemies using the US and others as proxies, and forge good relations with Russia which will further embolden Russia's growing influence in the Middle East, thus reducing Israel's influence and spoiling the Israeli/Neocon/Clinton dream of total Israeli/US Middle-Eastern/Pacific hegemony.

8. The Potato Mystic

The Potato Mystic Legend Political Irish

Putin the astute statesman engaging in surgical diplomacy between two mortal adversaries. Contrast that with murderous pyromania as represented by the lunatic Samantha Power. We really have to apologise to the American people for that poisonous creature.

Trump isn't even enthroned and he's securing jobs much to Obama's bafflement as Obama is about to conclude 8 years of his dithering and lunatic wars.

Early signs are that a degree of pragmatism and commonsense will be returning to international affairs at least tempering the years of globalist lunacy. Let's hope a new era of common-sense is what transpires.

9. roc_

roc_ Member Political Irish

No. I wasn't thinking of Israel at all.

What I actually think about Israel and Trump is that the extremists in Israel will also see his tenure as an opportunity. The Israeli extremists will make gains without a doubt.

I would certainly see that to be a bad thing in the overall scheme of things.

As to whether the middle east will become even more unstable and dangerous in an environment where Putin will always "outplay" a US president who really has no business being a president, I don't really know...

It goes without saying that your "Zionist Neocon" cabal conspiring malevolently towards world domination is only something that exists in your own warped soul (and in millions of others, certainly). - So as to the question of whether these kind of tropes will gain in popular appeal and legitimacy across the world under Trump, I would say they will (for all his affinity with actual Jewish individuals). - For these tropes are a large part of what has made Trump, and what will continue to make him as we saw in his speech here - Donald Trump Bankers & Media Speech

10. maxflinn

maxflinn Legend Political Irish Donator

I would like to believe that, but I cannot.

I don't see Putin outplaying him. Trump can come across as an idiot but he's no fool. What I see is a mutually beneficial alliance developing between them.

There is no conspiracy. Clinton and the Neocons are (were) ideological soulmates who believe in 'American Exceptionalism'.

Everything was in place for the continuation of the glorious hegemonic goals of them all, with Hillary steering the ship.

But that ship is in the dry dock now!

Trump does not share the same suicidal ambitions, but prefers to actually try to better his country and the lives of those within it, rather than allow the US military to continue to be used as a mercenary army sent to fight battles they should not be in, battles that the Neocons draw up in their joint US/Israeli foreign policy think-tanks.

I'm very hopeful that it's a case of 'not anymore, oh insane Zionist Neocons'...

Art likes this.
  11. OP
    Tadhg Gaelach

I never believed that shale oil was a realistic prospect over the long term - particularly given the colossal environmental damage it does.

12. OP
    Tadhg Gaelach