• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • To post you need to register an account and await approval. Click Here to sign up!

Is this the future of Western Political discourse?

maxflinn

Legend
Donator
Speaking of political discourse, I'm starting to find it all very tedious.
Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm on a political forum -- I don't do the auld ironing very well.

Very much of late, I've thought about retreating into a sort of Walden-esque obscurity for a little while.
The whole idea of living an uber simple existence with as little technology as possible, with the chirping of blackbirds as background noise rather the vapid chatter of Pat and Patricia Eire.
That really appeals to me.

I don't know if I'd quite go for the austerities recommended by Thoreau.
But if I could figure out a way of limiting my internet use, which I need to use for work, to a few hours a week so I'm not eating into my savings, then the rest should be easy enough.
I'm not very materialistic as it is.

A nice semi-secluded spot in the 'Wesht' would do me grand.
I'm considering ceasing online activity myself at the moment, or at least greatly cutting it back, because even though I often feel the need to vent anger at injustices and highlight them online etc, it often feels like a pointless exercise that'll make no difference.

I figured I'd buy a book the other day, to relax and read, and I did so, but it too was fucking political..:rolleyes:

It's hard to escape!

I wish i knew, so far Im only finding out what i think would't work.

Re nationalism, right now im not see anything happening unless it revolves around job/pension/economy. Its about the only thing that will unite western peoples these days.
This is why brexit is the big one, if it forces us back to a form of economic nationalism, as in an end to free trade everywhere which is at the core of globalism, it might have a chance.
The worst thing this country ever did was join the euro, give up your currency and you give up control over your economy.
That and free trade, which is giving over control of your borders to bilderbergs and their ilk, as you are opening your country up to economic invaders, like we see now.
Higher principles play a minimal role in motivating political action -- save for an idealistic minority.

It's concrete, day-to-day reality that concerns most people, that spurs action.
This is the way it's always been. And the more I think about it, it's probably for the best.

Ideologues have always piggybacked on popular sentiment, in their attempts to shepherd the masses towards the platonic pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
More often than not, it turns out to be a mass grave.

Tadhg Gaelach

Legend
Donator
I'm considering ceasing online activity myself at the moment, or at least greatly cutting it back, because even though I often feel the need to vent anger at injustices and highlight them online etc, it often feels like a pointless exercise that'll make no difference.

I figured I'd buy a book the other day, to relax and read, and I did so, but it too was fucking political..:rolleyes:

It's hard to escape!

If we didn't have the trolls on this site the energy required to post would be a lot less.