1. To post you need to register an account and await approval. Click Here to sign up!

Linux Distros!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Dan_Murphy, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Dan_Murphy

Dan_Murphy New Political Irish

Hey guys,

I've been using Mac OSX or Windows all my life, kept trying Linux and found it clunky and awkward. But recently I got a raspberry pi and having nothing but the terminal to work with I think I've finally figured the appeal.

So I've bought an old PC back from the dead and I've got Debian "Jessie" running as a server, but I'm looking to get a laptop working with it for personal use and some light dev work (Python3 and D hobbyist stuff). Anyone have any recommendations? It's a cointoss between Debian and Ubuntu MATE at the moment.

Also, anyone recommend a good IDE or should I try learning VIM while I'm at it? :)

2. ruserious

ruserious Member Political Irish

Hi Dan. Nice to see you made it over here. 

I have no idea what you are talking about in the OP however.

3. OP
    Dan_Murphy

Hey ruserious!

Thanks. I'm glad that there is an alternative to p.ie, hopefully we can get the rest over here too. :)

Basically I'm looking to move away from Windows and looking for advice from people who are already using Linux. That and trying to get some conversations going! :)

4. cyberianpan

cyberianpan Member Political Irish

If you have high intellectual wattage emacs or one of its derivatives is likely to prove more powerful than any other text editor or even an IDE

Cyp

5. seabhcan

seabhcan Member Political Irish

Kubuntu is nice.

6. jmcc

jmcc Member Political Irish

Debian is OK as are Ubuntu, SUSE and Mint. Slackware might be a step too far. CentOS or Redhat seem to be very much production line distros. As a text editor, if you want one where you may already know the control sequences/keys, 'joe' is good. Emacs, as Cyp pointed out above is probably the best but it takes a while to get used to and comes in X-Window and non-X versions.  As a windows manager, Gnome is a pretty one but KDE seems to be far more utilitarian and easier to handle for people migrating from MSFT. And if you are operating from a terminal, Midnight Commander is available ('mc').

7. cyberianpan

I

Yeah..to be honest it is nearly 20 years since I last used emacs, though if you have a use case that is well suited to it....then the overhead in learning both  it and LISP is justified

My typical classes of editing use cases presently are highly correlated and I tend to find Notepad++ and Excel more than adequate for first pass...which I put into custom DBMS tables...and dynamically generate the SQL of them that I need

On Friday I can across my first usecase for dynamically generating grandchild DDL and DML on the fly.

If I did not do that, relating to few dozen or so grandcildren of heterogeneous morphology. ..to their single parent...would have been manual. Which is not good as I expect the need for about 6 new grandchildren tables a week...and occasional changes to the parent

When the DBAs realise thaty new schema has 9+x tables...where x is projected to grow to a few thousand. ..and that it will run tens of thousands of jobs a day...they will go very pale in the face

Cyp

8. OP
    Dan_Murphy

Hey guys,

Just wanted to say thanks, went with Ubuntu MATE and I'm liking it so far. Sticking to PyCharm for dev work for now though, will look at text editors some other time. :)

9. cyberianpan

Yeah...depends on your use case

If your use cases are modest. ..or highly specific...then the learning curve for a proper general purpose text editor...is not justified

Cyp

10. jmcc

jmcc Member Political Irish

It always helps to know how to use Vi, Nano, Pico or joe (the Wordstar/Tubo ^K commands). You may find you have to tweak something at command line level. The PyCharm thing looks interesting. There was another text editor suggested on Boards.ie but I can't remember the name of it. It looked equally as nice.

11. OP
    Dan_Murphy

Have the ability to flex my e-peen online is  its own reward for learning this stuff! :)

12. OP
    Dan_Murphy

I've been using Nano on my raspberry pi, its pretty great.

I've managed the get the pi set up as a web proxy for my house, its blocking ads for every device that uses our internet. :D

13. cyberianpan

Hmmm...Nano has a known unreliable side effect...it causes you to fart otters over port 7071 via https on the first Tuesday of every month 

Cyp

14. OP
    Dan_Murphy

Uh oh. Does emacs have any side effects? Besides getting a lisp of course! :)

15. cyberianpan

:p

Cyp