1. To post you need to register an account and await approval. Click Here to sign up!

Michael McIvor strikes again!

Discussion in 'Northern Ireland' started by SwordOfStCatherine, Jan 11, 2018.

1. SwordOfStCatherine

SwordOfStCatherine Legend Battle Royale Political Irish

I have actually had a couple of conversations with the lad over on the other place, and while he is basically sound in my view good taste and sober rationality are not things I would associate with him. He argues for instance that the SDLP are Anti-Catholic bigots because they take their seat in Westminister for one thing as well as that the physical force Dissos are Brit lovers through a variety of leaps of surreal logic. Though it was extremely tasteless what he said here that causing controversy currently was actually quite witty-

“We tried to break bread with the unionists but they were not interested – but here is a loaf they are interested in.”

Sinn Féin embroiled in new Kingsmill row as ex-councillor posts 'sick' joke on Facebook - Independent.ie

I don't think he is reflective so much of the Shinners at all but rather the unique culture of Fermanagh.

2. Dublin 4

Dublin 4 Legend Donator Battle Royale Political Irish

[​IMG]

They had another Headcase suspended from Fermanagh- this Headcase is from Tyrone.

3. OP
    SwordOfStCatherine

I'm pretty sure his parents come from Fermanagh though.

Tadhg Gaelach and Dublin 4 like this.
  4. Dublin 4

Who was the other Headcase Northy that made crazy remarks on Twitter- I can't find him on Google.

Some young guy- Twentysomething???

Tadhg Gaelach likes this.
  5. Dublin 4

[​IMG]
    Phil Flanagan MLA in Enniskillen, May 2011

Since being elected to the Assembly Flanagan has been involved in a number of controversies, a lot of which involved social media.

In 2011 it was revealed that Flanagan had been suspended from his previous employment during a probe into higher than usual expenditure from the shops petty cash. He denied any wrongdoing and said the £2000 of petty cash had been used to buy coffee and tea as the shop had no kitchen unlike other shops in their chain.[11]

In 2012 he tweeted remarks about Tom Elliott and Mike Nesbitt being "clampits." Also in 2012 he posted a comment on Facebook about the village of Clabby being a "black hole." [12]

In 2012 he also referred to Enniskillen, a town he represents, looking "like crap" in a tweet.[13]

In July 2013 Phil Flanagan retweeted a sexually explicit comment about the birth of Prince George.[14] He later removed the retweet saying that he "misconstrued the meaning" of the tweet and apologised "for any offence that this may have caused anyone.".[15]

In 2014 Mr Flanagan tweeted comments about Tom Elliott's career in the UDR which he later removed from Twitter.[16] In January 2016 the MLA agreed to apologise and pay compensation and legal costs to Mr Elliott over the defamatory message. The apology read: "On May 1st 2014 I posted a tweet alleging that Tom Elliott was responsible for harassing and shooting people during his service with the UDR. I now accept this was untrue and wholly without foundation and I apologise for all offence caused." [17]

In February 2015 he tweeted comments suggesting that William of Orange was a terrorist.[18]
    In August 2015 he tweeted that a public sector organisation (Roads Service) resurfaced a road for the 12 of July and yet wouldn't be aware that a major GAA game was being played. He refused to apologise for his remarks saying he was only joking.[19]

Also in August 2015 he got into a war of words on Twitter with Máiría Cahill which resulted in him tweeting the following apology, "I'm sorry if my tweet earlier caused any upset or offence." [20]

In November 2015 when asked whether ISIS were terrorists he said he was not comfortable with the way organisations were demonised by being labelled terrorists. When he was later criticised for his remarks he stated on his Twitter account that he believed ISIS to be terrorists
    Stormont Standards Commissioner[edit]

It is known that at least two complaints [30][31] have been made about Phil Flanagan to the Stormont Standards Commissioner with one other person at least threatening to report him for comments he made.[32]

If a complaint is not found to be admissible the complaint is not made public and nothing comes from it. If the Commissioner finds the complaint to be admissible he will investigate the complaint and send his findings to the Committee for Standards and Privileges.[33]

Only one complaint about Mr Flanagan has been found admissible so far, which was his re-tweeting of the following joke; "The news says that the duchess doll entered the hospital by the back entrance. If William had done the same we wouldn’t have to suffer this balls.”

Although the NI Assembly Commissioner for Standards thought it worth investigating he found that Phil Flanagan had not broken the Code of Conduct for MLAs.
    In his report the commissioner was critical of Mr Flanagan, stating that "while Mr Flanagan’s retweet was offensive it was a crude ‘joke’ which demeaned Mr Flanagan rather than the Royal Family." He also stated that it was "hard to accept" when Mr Flanagan claimed "that he initially believed the original tweet to be an innocent joke."

He went on to say his "explanation may in the eyes of some have cast doubt on Mr Flanagan’s integrity." [34]

Phil Flanagan - Wikipedia

6. Dublin 4

They didn't even suspend him Sword- f*ck me [​IMG] lol!

As Gerry McGeough said in 2005: "A Shambles, lead by a bungling, incompetent Leadership..."

El Chaval. and Tadhg Gaelach like this.
  7. Finished Symphony

Finished Symphony Member Political Irish

They need to get rid of all these messers. They're toast. Not well bread people at all. Leave no scone unturned.

8. FUN da MENTALIST

FUN da MENTALIST Member

agree with u, sf need to stick to bread and butter issues.
    okay, sorry bout that

Tadhg Gaelach likes this.
  9. Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach Legend Donator Battle Royale Political Irish

The trouble with SF is they are now letting in every kind of messer and eegit - but the leadership still imagines it can keep discipline like in the good old days. McIvor is a prize eegit, but actually a sound enough bloke on a one to one level.

10. FUN da MENTALIST

FUN da MENTALIST Member

yes, and didnt adams start all this tweeting shite anyway, imagine, in the year of the 100th anniversary of the easter rising he brought out a book of tweets with a selfie of him and a goat on the front. that was the straw that broke the camels back for me and u guys here are right when u call sf a duck tweet cult. the mind boggles. it really does. imagine, there was no one in his inner circle who said - hey gerry maybe u shud shelve the tweet book for the year thats in it. the mind phucking boggles.

11. Tadhg Gaelach

Yes, of course that encouraged every kind of indiscipline.

FUN da MENTALIST likes this.
  12. OP
    SwordOfStCatherine

The times I chatted to him on politics.ie I found him very likable and witty but I struggled to get my head around a lot of his political understandings which diverge sometimes considerably from that of the Shinner mainstream. The thing is that a huge amount of the Prods have a very dark and quirky sense similar to McIvor's so they are not really in a position to be getting wound up by what he said but that is Ulster for you.

13. Tadhg Gaelach

He's basically a football supporter - and SF is his team. I don't think his political understanding goes any deeper than that. Btw. I wouldn't be surprised if McIvor does come from Prod stock himself.

14. OP
    SwordOfStCatherine

A lot of Nordies are like that. I think a lot Nordies need to be completely depoliticized and let others who are capable of being rational and mature about it make all the decisions about politics for them. This definitely goes for the savage type of Prods but I think it also applies in other cases to.

Myles O'Reilly and Tadhg Gaelach like this.
  15. El Chaval.

El Chaval. Member Political Irish

I had a bargy with Mc Ivor over on another forum some years ago about Provo corruption and he referred to Paul Quinn (who was murdered by Provos using iron bars) as "Old sore bones".
    Disgusting character.

16. FUN da MENTALIST

FUN da MENTALIST Member

i remember that. i think i know the forum ur on about. i go there every now and again but its not what it cud be.

17. Myles O'Reilly

Myles O'Reilly Legend Donator Battle Royale Political Irish

He told me more than once that I "ran with the Fox and hunted with the Hound" because I often called him out and didn't just attack Pullies.

Personally I think he's a headbanger.

18. OP
    SwordOfStCatherine

There isn't much of a debate about him being a head banger.

19. Dublin 4

That's the worst comment I've ever read in my Life, evil depravity.

I will take those words to my Grave.

FUN da MENTALIST likes this.
  20. FUN da MENTALIST

FUN da MENTALIST Member

when u consider what that lad went through, it does say a lot about him. i spent years defending those south armagh bastards when it was referred to as bandit country. bandits is too good a word for those evil oil baron cowards.

El Chaval. and Dublin 4 like this.