1. Welcome to Political Irish. Guests may post but all posts are restricted to approval. Why not open a free account and join our other members and post without restriction. Click Here to sign up!

Murdered Law student remembered

Discussion in 'Irish History' started by Antóin Mac Comháin, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Antóin Mac Comháin

Antóin Mac Comháin Respected Member

"You can censor us, call us thugs and murderers, call us fanatics and lunatics, you can refuse to speak to us, extradite us, ban us, torture us and kill us, but their will always be enough of us to ensure that one day you will talk to us." - Sinn Féin Councillor Jim McAllister at Sheena Campbell's funeral

The shooting dead by a loyalist UVF gang of 29-year-old Lurgan law student Sheena Campbell at the York Hotel in Belfast, was a further extension of a campaign to assassinate anyone who had the courage of their convictions to stand openly and articulate a positive way forward to Ireland's democratic future.

The shooting happened in Botanic Avenue close to Queen's University library where Sheena had earlier been studying.

The immediate aftermath of the shooting saw a leisurely response from the crown forces, especially from the nearby Donegal Pass barracks, less than 200 yards from the York Hotel. The area was always heavily patrolled and the many nationalist students who use Botanic Avenue railway station going to and from the university can testify to this.

The UVF death squad who carried out the shooting moved with apparent ease in and around the York Hotel before and after the gun attack. Given the well documented links between this group, both in the Belfast, Lurgan and Portadown areas, and members of the crown forces, the shooting bears all the hallmarks of yet another case of collusion.

From the time she began her legal studies at the start of October, Sheena had been stopped by the RUC and the British Army on numerous occasions. She had remarked on this upsurge of 'attention' to friends in the few weeks before her death. Shortly before her killing she told Sinn Féin colleagues of being stopped at checkpoints near her home in Lurgan as she drove to Belfast, and also being 'P' checked in the Queen's University campus itself.

Doubtless, as in the case of over 1,000 other nationalists, the UVF 'acquired' her personal details from these crown forces members and used this information to target her.

Sinn Féin President Gerry Adams, in his comments after the shooting dead of Sheena Campbell, described her as a valued member of both Sinn Féin and her local community, where she was held in high esteem.

"Sheena was killed because she was a member of Sinn Féin, to her killers she was a nationalist who refused to stay in her place and to accept she was a second-class citizen. Sheena had refused to be ghettoised or marginalised, and to her grieving son, her family and friends, I extend on my own behalf and that of Sinn Féin our deepest condolences."

Sheena Campbell was shot dead on Friday evening, 16 October 1992 - Law student shot dead | An Phoblacht

The Valley Of Knockanure

Tadhg Gaelach and Dublin 4 like this.
  2. Dublin 4

Dublin 4 Legend Battle Royale Political Irish

Sheena invented an Electoral Strategy which massively boosted Sinn Fein's Vote, later stabilised the Peace Process & had Nationalists on track for a Border Poll until O'Brion + the Gaystapo took over SF & reversed that Nationalist Vote Share Surge by marketing an Anti Nationalist, Pro Gaystapo, Pro EU Shambles.

Sinn Fein in Sheena's Day.

[​IMG]

New Sinn Fein

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tadhg Gaelach likes this.
  3. OP
    Antóin Mac Comháin

Mairéad Farrell - 'She was one of the H-Block/Armagh prisoners to stand for election in the Republic of Ireland in the 1981 General Election, standing in Cork North Central and polling 2,751 votes (6.05%).'

I think you are confusing Sheena Campbell with Mairéad Farrell? At the time of Campbells death, the SF vote in the South had fallen below 2%, so I can't see how anyone from the period can be credited with 'inventing' an Electoral Strategy. O'Broins constituency was only being built during that period, when west Dublin was Ballyfermot. Himself anf Forde still haven't figured out how the Millie vote grew. :cool:

4. Dublin 4

Dublin 4 Legend Battle Royale Political Irish

20 years ago today: murder of Sheena Campbell

O'Broin's "Constituency" is the Ard Comhairle of SF were he plants his Gaystapo stooges ;)

5. OP
    Antóin Mac Comháin

Telstar 62 [​IMG] On the other hand, were you not grateful for the softly, softly approach of Irish Army and Gardaí, the free hand along the border, the nifty mess-ups on extradition cases, and the convenient safe houses and arms dumps in this Republic???

''Tá smaointe dubha duairce ag reáchtáil fríd mo cheann agus ag cleitearnaigh fá dtaobh díom mar a bheadh iolair agus éanacha fiáine na spéire fá choirp i ndiaidh catha.'' - Seosamh Mac Grianna

In 1916 their was a battle in County Westmeath and the Republicans who fought in that battle went on to fight in the Tan war and then on the Anti-Treaty Republican side in the civil war.. Believe it or not, 78 years later, in 1994, the grand children of that family were targeted for a raid by what were then called the Free Staters.. Although in fairness, a lot of them were perhaps ignorant about the history which lay behind all of that.. Dozens of armed forces took part in that raid, which lasted for several days, but the only items that were seized were Republican literature.. It was the mere idea of Republicanism which they feared more than anything else..

cathalbrugha [​IMG] 'Life and history is never quite as black and white as some of us want to believe it was.. South County Dublin has its own wee bits of fascinating Irish history, believe it or not.. Indeed some of the more vocal anti-SoCoDu Republican posters are perhaps ignorant of that history.. A niece of The O'Rahilly, who was killed in action outside the GPO itself in 1916 and who was active in Cumann na mBan from 1919 up as far as the 1950s, and at one point in time was the vice-president of that organisation lived in South County Dublin. Her home at Aylesbury Road, Ballsbridge, was said to have been a centre of Republican activity and it was there in 1922 that Ernie O'Malley was wounded and captured after a shoot out with Free State troops. Anyone who knows anything about Republican history would at least have heard of O'Malley, and perhaps be aware that he wrote On Another Mans Wound, which is considered to be one of the all time greats of Republican literature. The O'Rahillys niece Sighle Uí Dhonnachdha(maiden name Humphries) married Domhnall Ó Donnachdha of the Dublin IRA in the 1930s who was also the editor of An Phoblacht for a period of time. Uí Dhonnachdha was also involved in Saor Éire and the Republican Congress in the 1930s, and was also a fluent Irish speaker, who is said to have refused to speak English to anyone who she knew could speak as Gaeilge. Uinseann MacEoin who wrote ''The IRA in the Twilight years'' interviewed her for ''Survivors'' in 1980, where she compared the modern day IRA and the struggle to to the Black & Tan period in the south. Over 60 years after the Rising and the Tans had come and gone, people like that saw no difference in the British occupation of the six counties. She remained a friend and a supporter of Republican prisoners until the day she died.'

Sean Treacy by Dominic Behan

I read that thread earlier funny enough. I was tempted to bump it, as the last time I checked I wasn't banned. I think the Ballad of Seán Treacy would have been more appropriate than the Valley of Knockanure, but the reason I choose latter was because I think of people like Farrell and Campbell when I listen to the words 'The cowardly gang of Black and Tans had shown them Englands Laws', and I think of what Sighle Humphries said about the UVF and the Loyalist Death Squads: That they were worse than the Black and Tans.