1. To post you need to register an account and await approval. Click Here to sign up!

New 9th Planet in our System?

Discussion in 'Space' started by Quantum, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Quantum

Quantum New Political Irish

[font='Benton Sans Cond', 'DIN Alternate', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Astronomers say a Neptune-sized planet lurks beyond Pluto[/font]

[font='Benton Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Its amazing that no matter how clever we think we are in science, something comes along and knocks our socks off.[/font]

[font='Benton Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]We can admire Earth type planets in other system but we fail to find a planet lurking in our own system for all these years.[/font]

[font='Benton Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Its wonderful and amazing how great our universe is and all the joys still to be discovered.[/font]

2. Coldfish

Coldfish Member Political Irish

I though this was going to be a wacko planet X thread, and then I saw its from sciencemag!

WOW

3. Belgrade

Belgrade Moderator Staff Member Moderator Donator Political Irish

Thats some strange orbit around the Sun for this PlanetX, its almost as if its some sort of rogue planet that was knocked out of its orbit thousands of ears ago and it settled in this new higher further away orbit.

4. Youngdan

Youngdan Moderator Staff Member Moderator Political Irish Donator

What is wacko about those who for years have being talking about planet X. It seems they have been proven correct at first glance.

5. Superhans

Superhans Site Admin Staff Member Site Admin Donator

This is actually quite huge news and is trending right now.

Its huge as this planet has been speculated on for years and its knowledge goes back to thousands of years to when ancient texts described the planet, its orbit and those who visited from the planet!

6. Youngdan

But these people are wackos, up to yesterday anyway

7. Dublin 4

Dublin 4 Legend Political Irish Donator

WHY PLUTO IS NO LONGER A PLANET 

http://www.universetoday.com/13573/why-pluto-is-no-longer-a-planet/

Win some lose some  :)

8. Superhans

Superhans Site Admin Staff Member Site Admin Donator

Yea, when i read 9th planet i thought we already had a 9th , turns out Pluto got downgraded in 2006!

9. seabhcan

seabhcan Member Political Irish

There are probable thousands of planets in the dark regions of interstellar space which were knocked out during the early formations of solar systems.

10. Count Bobulescu

Count Bobulescu Member Political Irish Donator

Jeez, I expect better from someone who claims to work for NASA.

No planet has been discovered. Evidence of the possible existence of a new planet has improved. It will likely take years to confirm or deny.

11. Youngdan

So you do not believe this elusive Planet X exists. You have been told for years that those who spoke of it were wackos and you accepted that. You are now reluctant to believe you were mislead. Is that an accurate depiction of your position.

12. Count Bobulescu

Absolutely not! Don't know where you get that idea.
    I never said I did not believe the planet exists. You've just jumped to that conclusion. All I said was that the evidence was not yet conclusive. The scientists have been at pains to point that out, but a guy who claims to work for NASA appears unable to comprehend the distinction.

13. Youngdan

Well I know nothing of Quantum but it seems to me to be accepted by the scientists that the planet exists.

14. Count Bobulescu

• A pair of Caltech astronomers have discovered the most persuasive evidence yet that a ninth planet, larger than Earth, orbits the sun way beyond the known solar system. [Vox / Brian Resnick]
    • This blog post from 2014 gets into some of the science that the astronomers built on for their Planet X discovery — and some alternate explanations for the anomalies. [The Planetary Society / Emily Lakdawalla]
    • The planet has not been discovered. Discovery requires direct observation — which no one has done yet, though astronomers might be close. [Washington Post / Rachel Feltman]
    • And it's not like astronomers have never been led astray by orbital wobbles — as the story of the once-theorized planet Vulcan demonstrates. [National Geographic / Simon Worrall]

15. Sinbad

Sinbad Member Donator Political Irish

Could this be planet Jedward?

16. Count Bobulescu

You can watch an interview with the astronomer responsible here.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/we-cant-see-this-possible-9th-planet-but-we-feel-its-presence/

17. Finished Symphony

Finished Symphony Member Political Irish

Do aliens live there? Can we replace god with aliens? What are the chances of finding aliens? Maybe they can show us the way to truly live life. Yeah fuck gods, we won't need em once we find aliens out there in the universe somewhere..........please save us from ourselves.

18. OP
    Quantum

Quantum New Political Irish

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dr. Iorio has just published a new pre-print paper on arXiv (latest version just published yesterday) narrowing down the possibilities of the orbital configuration of Brown and Batygin's "Planet 9" theory. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://arxiv.org/pdf/1512.05288v2.pdf[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hopefully it wont be too long until we can confirm its existence.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=small][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I know that this coincidence between Broussard's Planet 7X location and the current predicted region of Planet 9 is sure to blow up the interwebs, and youtube, so I'd have to be deceptive to keep this fact to myself. I'm always straight with you guys, even if I happen to find a strange coincidence like this one. At the same time, it's important that I also point out all the reasons why Broussard's Planet 7X is nothing like the Planet 9 theory, the latter of which is at least supported by the orbits of trans-neptunian objects, and which is further constrained by Iorio based on the lack of a noticeable effect on the major planets.[/font][/font][/size]