1. To post you need to register an account and await approval. Click Here to sign up!

Northern Ireland & Brexit Chaos, Latest

Discussion in 'The Brexit Forum' started by Gaelswidow, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Gaelswidow

Gaelswidow Member Political Irish

The first steps to a United Ireland have begun as the UK drop Northern Ireland like a stone and leave them hanging as the UK seeds to Irish demands and allows Northern Ireland to remain in the Customs and Single Market.

This is wonderful news and must surely suggest a United Ireland isn't too far away.

Let's get Northern Ireland in the Euro now!

UK to make Brexit concessions over NI

Tadhg Gaelach likes this.
  2. SwordOfStCatherine

SwordOfStCatherine Legend Battle Royale Political Irish

I think while is will certainly be seen as a defeat by very many in the DUP for the actual UK State apparatus it suits them more than fine as a land border would be a massive headache.

3. Cattleblast

Cattleblast New Member Political Irish

Quite amazing TBH, I thought there were Red lines and Britain held all the red cards?

Some climb down.

On Sky News

German MEP

When asked about the money issue, he says the UK came to reality.

When asked about Ireland, he said the UK came around to reality.

They really should just forget about the whole thing.

4. charlestownknight

charlestownknight New Political Irish

The question is what will the DUP do? They made threats that they would bring down the government if they did this, also what will Nicola Sturgeon do?

5. 2pacs

2pacs Member Donator Battle Royale Political Irish

DUP on board according to Sky News. Some turnaround from the other day.

Dublin 4 and Tadhg Gaelach like this.
  6. Muckit

Muckit New Political Irish

The actual words on the RTE website are

"In the absence of agreed solutions the UK will ensure that there continues to be no divergence from those rules of the internal market and the customs union which, now or in the future, support North South cooperation and the protection of the Good Friday Agreement."

It is understood the text on Ireland was updated to refer to "continued regulatory alignment" on the island of Ireland."

It stops short of saying NI in the single market and Customs Union and no hard border although that would be the obvious method to satisfy the objectives. It does come across as a form or words to allow movement to stage 2 rather than an actual agreement.

7. SwordOfStCatherine

SwordOfStCatherine Legend Battle Royale Political Irish

I suspect that MI5 have more than enough on the DUP leadership to black mail them into submission. Also the DUP could have just been playing to the gallery there. I doubt Nicola Sturgeon cares but I could be wrong there.

8. Muckit

Muckit New Political Irish

Here is Sturgeon's response:

"Right now, Ireland is powerfully demonstrating the importance of being independent when it comes to defending your vital national interests"

9. TheKing

TheKing Member Donator Battle Royale Political Irish

This will go to the courts, If Northern Ireland remains in a Customs Union/Single Market It would be in breach of the 1707 Treaty of Union which Unites the UK. Would be successfully challenged if implemented.

Section VI:

‘That all Parts of the united Kingdom, for ever, from and after the Union, shall have the same Allowances, Encouragements, and Draw-backs, and be under the same Prohibitions, Restrictions, and Regulations of Trade, and liable to the same Customs and Duties, and Import and Export.

10. TheKing

TheKing Member Donator Battle Royale Political Irish

Downing street saying the leak is not correct.........

Leaked draft agreement shows Northern Ireland can opt out of some parts of Brexit
    Speaking to a briefing of journalists in Westminster, Downing Street rubbished the draft leak.

"The PM has been clear that the UK is leaving the European Union as a whole and the territorial and economic integrity of the United Kingdom will be protected," the Prime Minister's spokesperson said.

Rubbishing the Irish public broadcaster, he added: "RTE also reported this morning we were holding a Cabinet meeting and I missed that if it occurred."​

11. anderson

anderson Respected Member Battle Royale Political Irish

Looks like a civil war is coming to the conservative party.

Over 30 Tory politicians have presented May with 7 red lines they won't allow to be crossed, and have added the statement below.

Tory Brexiters set new red lines over ECJ and free movement

“If the EU refuses to agree to these terms by the end of the December council, the UK – having exhausted every avenue – should suspend its participation in the negotiations and inform the EU that, unless they are prepared to talk to us seriously about a future free trade arrangement, we will revert to World Trade Organisation terms from 30 March 2019.”

12. Batchduke

Batchduke New Member Political Irish Political Irish

According to Reuters, Coveney says very positive result for Ireland. The island will look the same post Brexit.

Amazing stuff coming out of Dublin , its almost as if the country is being united and the DUP are saying nothing!

13. Danny Dyer`s Pants

Danny Dyer`s Pants Member Political Irish

Leo Varadkar will make a statement on developments at Government Buildings in Dublin at around 2.30pm

14. 2pacs

I think we are seeing the end of the UK

15. AngloIreland

AngloIreland New Political Irish Political Irish

So Northern Ireland will be unable import our own products to our own part of the country unless we follow EU rules.

16. AngloIreland

AngloIreland New Political Irish Political Irish

The ultimate betrayal, at this point I hope the British government fall and we just remain in the EU as a while country.

Pathetic stuff from a weak leader.

17. Synicist

Synicist New Member Political Irish

Its actually quite strangely worded. It starts off 'in the absence of agreed solutions'. So if we haven't got an agreement with them for NI to be in a Customs Union with the EU then we will unilaterally 'ensure that there continues to be no divergence from those rules of the internal market and the customs union'. But if they are not in a CU with the EU its all a bit pointless as there will still have to be a hard border under the WTO agreement.

This is why I think its a form or words to get into phase two. As worded it doesn't actually achieve its objective.

18. bogtrotter

bogtrotter Member Political Irish

I think this will result in a weaker case for Irish unity.

As Northern Ireland is becoming a special case I would expect many businesses in the Republic and Mainland UK to move to Northern Ireland to enjoy the best of both worlds. Northern Ireland could be about to enjoy an economic boom, why would they want to rejoin the Republic and lose this status?

darthhead likes this.
  19. darthhead

darthhead Member Political Irish

Good points, look at this fool glouting.

Where is Dublin 4? I thought him and his mates had this! lol

2pacs likes this.
  20. 2pacs

Yes @dublin4 did make some claims didn't he!

BBC news reporting, DUP rejected the deal. I don't think anyone cares, the UK government are pressing ahead.