1. To post you need to register an account and await approval. Click Here to sign up!

Sabahu al-khayr. Good Morning. Let's Learn Arabic.

Discussion in 'Chat' started by Youngdan, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach Legend Donator Battle Royale Political Irish

De réir mar a thuigim, is "anta" le haghaidh fear agus "anti" le haghaidh ban.

Antóin Mac Comháin likes this.
  2. Antóin Mac Comháin

Antóin Mac Comháin Respected Member

I haven't a bog to be honest, but it doesn't appear to be half as difficult as I thought it would be.

Tadhg Gaelach likes this.
  3. OP
    Youngdan

Youngdan Moderator Staff Member Moderator Donator Battle Royale Political Irish

Sin mar a thuigim fresian.

4. OP
    Youngdan

It is twice as difficult as I thought so I guess I am one quarter as smart as you.

5. OP
    Youngdan

I am familiar with all these (few) words from my pimsleur audio but it is a great help to see them written as well. I am about 3 weeks into this now and I am hopeful that I will stick it out. My nephew learned Hebrew and that could not be too easy either. He is adept. He speaks fluent Spanish and is after learning Irish also. I presume both Irish and Hebrew would be to a fairly basic level of course

6. Antóin Mac Comháin

I bit off more than I could chew with new languages, so I have given up the ghost already for the moment.

7. OP
    Youngdan

Which ones have you been trying to get a grasp of before this

8. Myles O'Reilly

Myles O'Reilly Respected Member Donator Battle Royale Political Irish

What the fu*k you learning this rag head sh1t for Dan?

9. Antóin Mac Comháin

French, German, Spanish, Cornish, Swedish, Welsh..

I'm that sad Dan, I even collect a few Latin phrases.

10. OP
    Youngdan

Tempo fugit.

11. Antóin Mac Comháin

Business or pleasure? You must think I'm one sad muthurfuckér..

12. Antóin Mac Comháin

Book of the Dean of Lismore

It is primarily written in the "secretary hand" of Scotland, rather than the corr-litir style of hand-writing employed by Gaelic speakers in Ireland. The orthography is the same kind used to write the Lowland Scots variety of the Anglic languages, and was a common way of writing Scottish Gaelic in the Late Middle Ages.

Although the principal part of the manuscript's contents are in Gaelic, the manuscript as a whole is multilingual, and there are a significant number of texts written in Scots and Latin, including extracts from the Scots poets William Dunbar and Robert Henryson, and there is a great deal of Gaelic-English diglossia throughout the manuscript. Many of the Gaelic texts are of Irish provenance, and in the case of bardic poetry, Irish poems outnumber Scottish poems 44 to 21. - Book of the Dean of Lismore

The Anglo-Frisian family tree is:

I need to have a splattering of languages for what I will be studying over the next few years.

13. OP
    Youngdan

I come in contact with educated arabic speakers on occasion Myles, plus not all arabs are muslims. I greatly admire arab Christians.
    I see people who I would consider less intelligent than I being able to speak two or three languages, so I have decided to learn this one.

14. OP
    Youngdan

Good luck with that.

15. Antóin Mac Comháin

I'll need it. Irish poems outnumber Scottish poems 2 to 1 in that particular book, so I could survive with Irish, but understanding Irish gives me a huge advantage with Scottish, which I can read fairly well as it is. I've made a bit of headway with Cornish, Manx and Welsh, and I have done French, German and Spanish when I was younger, so it's an achievable goal over the next year or so, to be conversational in each of those languages.

16. Tadhg Gaelach

I've started learning Gaulish. It's easy enough for me as I've studied Old Irish.

Antóin Mac Comháin likes this.
  17. Tadhg Gaelach

Hal 'indaka awlaad, a chara?

18. OP
    Youngdan

Ana i'ndee walad wa bintan.

I have one boy and two girls. I think 2 girls is bantan but it might be bintani.

19. OP
    Youngdan

Knowing well all the pronouns will make my pimsleur listening much easier. I am familiar with about 8 of the 12 so I will get the 12 learned off now

20. OP
    Youngdan

I am about 2 months into this by now. It is mostly listening on my pimsleur.

Learn to Speak Arabic (Modern Standard) | Arabic (Modern Standard) Language Course | Pimsleur®

I have level 1 and there are 3 levels. Level 1 consists of 30 lessons which I have listened to intently giving plenty of time. I am now going over it a second time and am on lesson 9 and 10. What I have noticed is that you really can't miss a day or you will fall out of the rhythm. That is why one lesson of 30 minutes is recommended daily even if you listen to it a few times. It is perfect for the car for a person driving to and from work.

Arabic is difficult, but I am making progress.
    A simpler language like Dutch or German would be a piece of cake.

If anybody wishes to try a different language I will join them. Obviously Arabic would not be the choice of too many.