1. To post you need to register an account and await approval. Click Here to sign up!

Sabahu al-khayr. Good Morning. Let's Learn Arabic.

Discussion in 'Chat' started by Youngdan, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Toby Carlton-Hogge

Toby Carlton-Hogge Member Political Irish

Good lad Dan.

Best of luck to you in your endeavours.

2. OP
    Youngdan

Youngdan Moderator Staff Member Moderator Donator Battle Royale Political Irish

Thanks Mr T, I appreciate your exchanges as always, especially words of encouragement like this. I have been busy lately but have a day off today.

I purchased a 6 months subscription to rosetta stone for 6 months for $80. I probably should have purchased it outright. It is a completely different method of learning altogether and so far I find it much more difficult than pimsleur. Rosetta is total immersion and it is hard to figure out the hints. One is supposed to recognize and identify the written words as you go along. This would work well with our alphabet but I am just not getting it when dealing with this arabic script.

On the bright side though, the secret of both is repetition and listening and you would pick up a few new words each day. It is no different than listening to music.

If it were an easier language, closer to english, I feel that I would be able to speach basic german for example by now after 3 months.
    If anybody is willing to give another language a go perhaps a couple of us might join them, depending on what language it is.

I had dinner yesterday with my 2 brothers and wives and most kids. The wives decided it would be a good idea to go to Iceland next June, I wished the chose someplace with a simple language like Norway , anyplace but Iceland as I heard it was very difficult.

Tadhg Gaelach likes this.
  3. Toby Carlton-Hogge

Toby Carlton-Hogge Member Political Irish

I hear it's very nice there in June, Dan.

Not my taste, but take my advice, don't fight it, go along and enjoy.

4. OP
    Youngdan

Well it is not too far from Boston and the flight is cheap so that is a plus. Rent a house for 12, maybe more if other siblings join us.

5. Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach Legend Donator Battle Royale Political Irish

Habibi - let's all learn belly dancing, Inshallah...

6. OP
    Youngdan

For Arabic anyway, I find rosetta stone to be useless as the alphabet is totally different. It would be great for say italian.

Pimsleur is all audio so it is fine if you just want to converse and understand. I will settle for that.

7. OP
    Youngdan

I am about 10 weeks into this now and am happy enough with pimsleur. I hope to be able to understand all level 1 when I hear it. Now speaking it is a different kettle of fish. It is just a case of listening to it over and over again.
    I doubt I will ever bother with the reading or writing of it though that is very difficult and it is just not worth the time in my situation.
    The Rosetta Stone then was useless. So I changed the language to Latin American Spanish. It is incredibly easier than arabic so I am doing a bit of that now to start. I am confident of getting a decent grasp of that. Any day I work I am in the car an hour each way so that time is free to listen to audio. It is more useful than talk radio or music.

8. OP
    Youngdan

I am wrapping up my arabic now after a little more than 3 months. I am able to understand everything on level one when I hear it but I am not able to reverse and speak it. It is pointless to continue further though as I do not have the time to tackle the written word. To do so would take a huge effort, too much for just a pastime. I will keep listening occasionally to keep what I have learned though.

I conclude that to learn a language you must really admire that language and culture, and I can not say that for arabic. That and the alphabet are the 2 biggest hurdles.
    I would find Polish easier for example.

I will have a lot of free time from next week onwards so I have already gotten American Spanish ready to go. I have it on both pimsleur and Rosetta Stone. From the bit I have done, it is a piece of cake.That is the advantage of putting in so much time on the arabic. In 3 months I will know it easy and will be onto level 2.

I can see how people can get hooked on languages, especially young people who can travel.
    I will be starting my Spanish thread in a few more days

9. Radioactive

Radioactive Member Political Irish

Fair play for learning it, do you think you are at a level that you could converse in a conversation?

10. OP
    Youngdan

Not by a longshot. It is enough to just barely get by, but if a different word was substituted, or if spoken fast, I would be completely lost. At best I will end up given a salute to a fellow in a gas station and pretending I understand his response, while I make my escape.

But it certainly was worth the effort. My time spent was driving to and from work mainly. Everyone here has driven to work and listened to music which has no benefit really. I drive 1 hour each way though.

The Spanish will be easy.

I think there are 3 level of Spanish, you would want to know all before you speak. A friend of mine is doing French. He is on level 5 plus has a tutor and is now confident.
    It takes serious time. It is not difficult, but you gotta commit to the long haul

Radioactive likes this.
  11. Radioactive

Radioactive Member Political Irish

Well fair play either way, it looks a tough language and not one i think i would have the time for. You have my respect for doing aswell as you did.

12. OP
    Youngdan

Thanks. The advantage is that many others will seem easy by comparison. I am excited about the Spanish