1. To post you need to register an account and await approval. Click Here to sign up!

The Fall of Mosul. What happens next?

Discussion in 'Foreign Affairs' started by El Chaval., Jul 8, 2017.

1. El Chaval.

El Chaval. Member Political Irish

Mosul, the capital of ISIS is hours from total collapse. This is a huge story which deserves more attention.
    Whilst I don't think that ISIS will ever be militarily defeated completely, it can however be depleted and weakened.
    The fall of Mosul and quite likely Raqqa too will effectively transform ISIS from a uniformed visible militia to a more dangerous, unrecognisable classical terror outfit.
    Will we see a rise in terror attacks in Europe and the near East. Or will the fall of their H.Q's mean they will eventually fade away into irrelevance as Al Qaeda has in recent years (aside from their activity in Syria)

Tadhg Gaelach likes this.
  2. Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach Legend Political Irish Donator Battle Royale

I'd say that most of the ISIS terrorists from Mosul have already been given safe passage to Syria, where they can continue the fight against US enemies there.

3. OP
    El Chaval.

El Chaval. Member Political Irish

Well, if the Iraqis make that same mistake again, then they really are as stupid as they look.

Do you think Al Baghdadi is dead?

Tadhg Gaelach likes this.
  4. Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach Legend Political Irish Donator Battle Royale

I have a friend from Iraq and he told me that the US Army had held back the Iraqi Army for months to allow ISIS to escape to Syria. Don't know about Al Baghdadi, but I don't think ISIS really needs him at this stage.