1. To post you need to register an account and await approval. Click Here to sign up!

The Look of the Irish - Redifining the Irish person | Saffa Musleh | TEDxWexford

Discussion in 'Immigration & Refugees' started by BrianBoru, May 13, 2017.

1. Myles O'Reilly

Myles O'Reilly Respected Member Political Irish Donator Battle Royale

2. Heraclitus

Heraclitus Member Political Irish

No, I demolished the central tenet of the Catholic pro-life position. I've nothing against moderate pro-lifers who approach abortion from a more sensible paradigm.

If the public dislike the policies of a particular business owner, they're free to go elsewhere. Generally speaking, a business owner is a much better judge of prudent policy than some bureaucrat. If any child was harmed , they'd be destroyed.

If the state decides it needs to intervene, then the burden of proof should be squarely on it. 'Tink of da childer' isn't a sufficient rationale. There needs to be an appreciable risk that can't be remedied by market forces alone.
    Hysteria doesn't cut it.

I'll let HL Mencken drop a few words in:
    Backed up by solid Neuroscience.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  3. The Potato Mystic

The Potato Mystic Legend Battle Royale Political Irish

"Demolished", lol. You haven't even approached the Catholic pro-life position.

But despite the numerous problems of the Catholic Church, I'd take the Catholic view that human life is sacred over the aspie view that men are machines any day of the week.

No, I'm not okay with little girls sharing a toilet with mentality ill men. You may think that's fine n' dandy in deference to that property-god of yours. It ain't cool with me and if government can't fathom that's not OK, then it's not doing it's job.

Tadhg Gaelach likes this.
  4. The Potato Mystic

Liberalism has ancestry in Greece. It's basically man surrendering to his appetites and renouncing God to worship himself, often coopting the name of God in doing so. Thus we have the cult of individualism.

But the medieval Catholic Church is the polestar of anti-Capitalism until merchant speculators coopted the various monarchs and the Vatican politically compromised in its turn to stay politically relevant. . Before that Catholic society forbade cost cutting, it even forbade advertising. Usury was a grave sin. So if you want to go to a faith that is intrinsically anti-capitalist, traditional Catholicism is the way to go.

The key of event is the fall of Constantinople. I would argue that is an event as traumatic to the European mind as World War Two. It struck a huge blow to the confidence of Europe to be cut off from the Far East and to be menaced by the rising Islamic world. In step the speculators who subsequently bankrolled mercantile-liberalism, promising a return to grandeur and preeminence for the monarchs The result of all this is untold millions died in the "New World" and a phenomenon that is a distant ancestor liberal attempts to colonise the world today.

5. Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach Legend Political Irish Donator Battle Royale

Well, I'm agreeing with you and disagreeing. I certainly agree that the Catholic Church put up an heroic resistance to Liberalism. But I think the disease had infected Catholicism from the start, and was always waiting to become cancerous. You could well be right about the Fall of Constantinople as being the key moment. Without a doubt it was a trauma on a par with the World Wars. I really don't think Liberalism was found in ancient Greece though. Which Greek philosopher would you say showed signs of the Liberal disease? It certainly couldn't be Socrates - he rejects the offer to escape death on the grounds that the collective had condemned him. And certainly not Plato. And it most certainly couldn't be Heraclitus, who rejected the very core of Liberalism, i.e. the fixed self - cogito ergo sum. For Heraclitus, all was process - as in a river.

6. Heraclitus

There isn't much to demolish. The RCC position is just reheated Aristotelianism with a few layers of flowery sophistry piled on top for good measure.

"Machines"??? there you go again with another strawman.

And as for "little girls sharing a toilet with mentally ill men" (yet another strawman) what evidence do you have of an urgent need for state meddling? You're a demagogues dream.

Olli Rehn likes this.
  7. Heraclitus

You love your bizarre sophistry, don't you?

But deep down Tadhg, you know you're a hapless spoofer. But even worse, you don't sound a millionth as profound as you think you do when you're bashing out that drivel on the keyboard. It's like Karl Marx rode Madam Blavatsky and the bastard offspring was dropped on its head at birth.

If you want to see how contrarian sophistry is done, I suggest you read "A confederacy of dunces".

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    Olli Rehn likes this.
  8. The Potato Mystic

A few jibes from you isn't a "demolition", lol. The RCC position is that human life is sacred and should be defended if a window exists to do so. It ain't nuthin' else.

Mainstream science mostly confines itself to the realm of matter and if only matter is true and everything is just a set of mechanical processes then we're all nothing but glorified machines. Yelling the word "strawman" doesn't let you squiggle of out that little cul de sac.

If you require "evidence", that little girls sharing a toilet with mentally ill men is problematic, then I just don't know what more I can do for you, dude. I know this makes your head explode but issuing a few modest planning regulations on this matter is something that should not distress sensible people. "a demagogues dream", lol. And he gives out to me about strawmen?

9. The Potato Mystic

The DNA of liberalism begins with Epicureanism. Medieval Catholicism was socially structured to oppose it, until the Fall of Constantinople fundamentally unbalanced Christendom.

10. Tadhg Gaelach

You may well be right about that a chara. It's certainly plausible. My only objection would be that what we know of the thinking of Epicurus seems to be very similar to the teachings of the Buddha. And yet, Liberalism certainly didn't evolve inside Buddhism. They both take a very impersonal view of God, and don't promote any kind of individual relation with God. As I said above, I still suspect this individual, even private, relation with God as the root of Liberalism. For example, if we compare the message of the Gods to Agamemnon to sacrifice his daughter Iphigenia so that the Greeks will have victory over the Trojans, with the instruction of God to Abraham to kill his son. Agamemnon is given a communal reason for the act, and if he doesn't do it, he has to tell his fellow Greeks why they cannot have victory over the Trojans. Abraham can't even tell his wife. No reason whatsoever is given. This is a private act which is part of a private relationship between Abraham and God. I think such private relations are the origin of Liberalism. God later gets reduced to the ego. I would say the ISIS terrorists who have similar private instructions in their heads are also true Liberals. As are terrorist bombers like Bush, Blair, Obama and now Trump.

11. Ire-land

Ire-land Legend Political Irish Donator Battle Royale

Lol with tears

12. OP
    BrianBoru

BrianBoru Member Political Irish

13. Tadhg Gaelach

BrianBoru and Ire-land like this.
  14. Ire-land

Ire-land Legend Political Irish Donator Battle Royale

Yeah, we're so racist, it's why we've allowed our country to be overrun by immigrants from all over the world, and why we're paying them to have children, and then paying to educate their children.

We're such an intolerant bunch of cunts, thanks for pointing it out, Mr Jackeen.

BrianBoru and Tadhg Gaelach like this.
  15. OP
    BrianBoru

BrianBoru Member Political Irish

China man born in China is offended when Irish people ask where he's from.

Tadhg Gaelach and Ire-land like this.
  16. Tadhg Gaelach

I remember one time I was in London in a Chinese restaurant, and most of the tables were communal, i.e. you just got a place at a very big table. A young couple asked if they could have a table for two, and the waiter just said - No, go to McDonalds! I must say I admire that trait in the Chinese. This fellow must have forgotten what his own people are like. I can well believe that. Maybe the Libtardism is in the water in Western Europe.

17. Heraclitus

I should've been less charitable and used an alternative synonym. Perhaps Horsesh1te would be more appropriate.

18. Myles O'Reilly

Myles O'Reilly Respected Member Political Irish Donator Battle Royale

I remember one time I was in Morocco and the sh1tters were communal

19. Heraclitus

The nature of things by Lucretius is a masterpiece.
    As for Christianity, it decimated the philosophical diversity of Rome.

I think Nietzsche put it best in the gay science

.​

20. Heraclitus

Abit like ancient Rome.