1. To post you need to register an account and await approval. Click Here to sign up!

The Sad Thread

Discussion in 'Chat' started by Youngdan, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Youngdan

Youngdan Moderator Staff Member Moderator Donator Battle Royale Political Irish

This thread is dedicated to moments of sadness that posters encounter. I think it would be a good thing to relate them.

Tadhg Gaelach likes this.
  2. OP
    Youngdan

Today my son wanted to go up to a place called Epping in New Hampshire USA, where they have The New England Dragway. He wanted to watch people drag racing their souped up cars. He said it was imports and sure enough most cars were those small subarus, hondas etc with a few American big blocks thrown in.I was not busy so we both went. We were looking at all these cars but one caught my eye. I never even found out what it was but it looked like a car built after the war in the late 40s and a man of about 55 was wiping it down. I engaged him in conversation like I usually do. I noticed that written on the small sidewindow was an RIP to a youngster who recently died, called Tony Moran.
    I said " Do you mind telling me about this unfortunate lad". He said that he invites him to every meet even though he is only there in spirit. His mother made him sleep in the car because he was doing badly at school. He lamented the boys death for a few sentences. I thanked him for sharing that story and moved on.

When I got home I googled it and saw that the kid died in Vermont in Feb 2016. It is cold in Vermont on February.

CVU senior Tony Moran mourned - The Citizen

That is a sad thing.

3. Kershaw

Kershaw Legend Battle Royale Political Irish

He was made to sleep in that car? or what relationship was he to the car owner?

4. OP
    Youngdan

He or the family owned the car, a 1998 model, worth little. According to the man, the kid's mother would not let him in the house. I just got the bare telling of the tale. I learned the car age from the google search.

5. maxflinn

maxflinn Legend Donator Battle Royale Political Irish

At Xmas in 2010 a very nice woman who I knew came home after a Xmas night out with work colleagues and after getting out of her taxi she slipped on ice and banged her head. The taxi had already left and as it was late nobody found her for a few hours. She had died from the cold as she lay unconscious on the ground a few feet from her front door with her kids inside the house unaware.

A few weeks later her husband who had been in hospital at the time passed away from cancer leaving the kids without both parents.

6. Una

Una Member Donator Battle Royale Political Irish

Wow ! Beyond Belief the things going on out there.

maxflinn likes this.
  7. OP
    Youngdan

That is sad, made all the more so by the fact that it can so easily happen. All through my life if I was dropping someone home or whatever, I ALWAYS saw them safely in the door. I never was a cab driver but it should be basic procedure. Unfortunately, many cab drivers very likely detest their passenger.

maxflinn likes this.
  8. OP
    Youngdan

A few days ago I spent a day with a 70 year old lady from Israel. She was born in Hungary and left there with her parents and brother when she was 9 years old in 1957. During the war her father was married and had a daughter. Both his wife and the daughter died in the camps. Her mother was also married and had a daughter. Her husband and daughter both died as well. After the war they both returned to their village and they knew each other so they got married.
    As if that was not sad enough, the woman herself was an atheist. Her deceased husband was a high level scientist in microbiology who did research all over the world. He was an expert in insect reproduction. Her brother also was dead 18 months ago from a brain hemorrhage.
    I lamented that her husband brother and two half sisters were dead. I normally would say that she would see them all again and that of course would be very comforting, especially to an older person. However I could not say that to her as she did not believe.
    I stopped by the side of a rural road as we talked about this. The leaves were falling, and she too, was a leaf that will soon fall. They will be gone.Her husband gave his body for scientific research, I did not ask her intentions.

I thought the whole thing was a sad tale indeed.

maxflinn likes this.
  9. Finished Symphony

Finished Symphony Member Political Irish

Reading one of the Irish papers online a few weeks ago and two parents died of cancer within weeks of each other leaving three children behind. They will be looked after by relatives I assume.

That's a sad story. And it happens multiple times a day (to say the least) on this stupid planet. As long as it doesn't happen to you everything is just peachy, relatively speaking. Touch wood. By the grace of god, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.