1. To post you need to register an account and await approval. Click Here to sign up!

When did Zoroaster live?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by SwordOfStCatherine, May 2, 2017.

1. SwordOfStCatherine

SwordOfStCatherine Legend Political Irish

Most scholars dismiss the dates given in the Gathas, which are Zoroastrian Scriptures, for the life time of the founder of this Religion however Mary Settegast makes I think a strong but controversial argument for them being at least closer to the truth than most people today are willing to admit. That Zoroastrianism emerged in conflict with Proto-Vedic Religion I believe certainly is undeniable.

Tadhg Gaelach likes this.
  2. Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach Legend Political Irish Donator

Very interesting, but the kind of ideas that Zoroaster expresses seem much newer than that, i.e. individual responsibility and individual conscience and a religion less interested in magical formula and pleasing the Gods, and more to do with good behaviour towards other human beings. I'd say 600 BC is much too recent, but 6,000 BC much to far away.

3. OP
    SwordOfStCatherine

SwordOfStCatherine Legend Political Irish

I find that the arguments that she makes compelling however I admit I don't have the knowledge to know for sure. The Gathas which are the earliest Zoroasterian Scriptures reflect though a landscape and pastoral economy somewhere outside of Iran and likely to be in and about the regions she suggests. They are also very linguistically close to Vedic Sanskrit suggesting that both groups hadn't broken from each other long at all when they were composed. Pliny the elder says that there were two Zoroasters and Evola claimed that Zoroaster was the name for a function, probably taken though from name of an actual Prophet, as much as for a person and that their Scriptures testify to there having been several. I'm going to have to look further into this. Zoroasterianism as it exists today is very much a jumble but it really does seem that large aspects of both Platonism and Second Temple Ancient Israelite Religion pre-existed before they came along in it.

Tadhg Gaelach likes this.
  4. Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach Legend Political Irish Donator

Yes, I read that the Israelites were heavily influenced by Zoroastrianism when they (or some of them) were in Babylon. Some even say that it was during this time that they adopted Monotheism, though, of course others say that their Monotheism came from Akhenatan. Probably both is true, as it seems pretty clear that Jahweh and Jehova were originally two different tribal Gods that got merged into one.