• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • To post you need to register an account and await approval. Click Here to sign up!

Why is RTÉ Comedy so Lame and Crap?

Tadhg Gaelach

Legend
Political Irish
Donator

Can anyone think of the last time RTÉ produced a funny comedy? The Savage Eye is about the last thing I can remember - and that was amusing more for its crudity than for actually being funny - though there were a few good sketches along the way.

Contradiction is the seed of all comedy, and Ireland today has no shortage of contradiction - Continued English occupation of our six north eastern counties, mass immigration, the Irish becoming a minority in Ireland, the continued destruction of our native language and culture, the continued vice grip of landlordism, mass homelessness, the fact that fewer and fewer jobs offer enough wages for a family to live on, massive police and political corruption, etc. etc.

So why is RTÉ unable to produce a decent comedy? Could it be that the very topics that would be the material of a fantastic comedy - are the very topics that RTÉ comedy is never allowed to mention, i.e. Continued English occupation of our six north eastern counties, mass immigration, the Irish becoming a minority in Ireland, the continued destruction of our native language and culture, the continued vice grip of landlordism, mass homelessness, the fact that fewer and fewer jobs offer enough wages for a family to live on, massive police and political corruption, etc. etc.

So, like the Savage Eye ten or fifteen years ago, RTÉ comedy must stick with the safe topics - clerical child abuse, the savage nature of the Irish peasant - particularly those with Republican leanings, the savagery of all native Irish culture, harmless police and political inefficiency, etc. etc.

Finished Symphony

Political Irish
I reckon they could pump out The Savage Eye five days a week and multiply the edginess factor by ten. Even covering all the topics mentioned above and it would not ruffle too many feathers. Viewers have way more options than ever before. Some of them pay more attention to the latest antics of Trump and U.S. politics. RTÉ no longer has a hostage audience anymore.

OP
OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Legend
Political Irish
Donator
I reckon they could pump out The Savage Eye five days a week and multiply the edginess factor by ten. Even covering all the topics mentioned above and it would not ruffle too many feathers. Viewers have way more options than ever before. Some of them pay more attention to the latest antics of Trump and U.S. politics. RTÉ no longer has a hostage audience anymore.

It definitely wouldn't ruffle the feathers of most viewers - who would be delighted to see the reality of their lives presented on TV. However, it would certainly upset the powerful vested interests that own and rule Ireland - and who set the agenda for both RTÉ and the Leinster House Régime.

SwordOfStCatherine

Legend
Political Irish

So, like the Savage Eye ten or fifteen years ago, RTÉ comedy must stick with the safe topics - clerical child abuse, the savage nature of the Irish peasant - particularly those with Republican leanings, the savagery of all native Irish culture, harmless police and political inefficiency, etc. etc.
Talk to your average girl from a working class or small farming background in the West of Ireland, she wont be little ms sophisticated but she will be naturally very polite if a bit shy, but there is also an inner toughness there as well as a real kindness which are totally interwoven in her soul- there is actual a lot of potential in these girls and women, if you can make an idea that maybe seem abstract and obscure in some way direct and concrete they can really absorb it. Now take the outwardly sophisticated Dublin "IT" girl- often brazenly objectively rude, no inner toughness anymore than inner kindness, but arrogance and sentimentality they think can make up for those virtues. The brazen degeneracy and corruption of COG and the objective wackiness of the likes of Emily Davison is pure comedy material but maybe we live in a State with the most controlled media in Europe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Legend
Political Irish
Donator
Talk to your average girl from a working class or small farming background in the West of Ireland, she wont be little ms sophisticated but she will be naturally very polite if a bit shy, but there is also an inner toughness there as well as a real kindness which are totally interwoven in her soul- there is actual a lot of potential in these girls and women, if you can make an idea that maybe seem abstract and obscure in some way direct and concrete they can really absorb it. Now take the outwardly sophisticated Dublin "IT" girl- often brazenly objectively rude, no inner toughness anymore than inner kindness, but arrogance and sentimentality they think can make up for those virtues. The brazen degeneracy and corruption of COG and the objective wackiness of the likes of Emily Davison is pure comedy material but maybe we live in a State with the most controlled in Europe.

Excellent post a chara.

Finished Symphony

Political Irish
It definitely wouldn't ruffle the feathers of most viewers - who would be delighted to see the reality of their lives presented on TV. However, it would certainly upset the powerful vested interests that own and rule Ireland - and who set the agenda for both RTÉ and the Leinster House Régime.
I'm seeing a lot of RTÉ hate online from various sites/forums. TV viewing is going down slowly. I wonder what their next move will be.

OP
OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Legend
Political Irish
Donator
I'm seeing a lot of RTÉ hate online from various sites/forums. TV viewing is going down slowly. I wonder what their next move will be.
RTÉ is a Régime orifice. It dutifully pumps out Régime propaganda 24/7. The Régime is now quite open about its plan to double the population of the 26 counties through mass immigration - and RTÉ is pumping out propaganda to try and make us all want that. Well, the vast majority of Irish people don't want that - and are beginning to see RTÉ as an enemy of this nation.

Finished Symphony

Political Irish
RTÉ is a Régime orifice. It dutifully pumps out Régime propaganda 24/7. The Régime is now quite open about its plan to double the population of the 26 counties through mass immigration - and RTÉ is pumping out propaganda to try and make us all want that. Well, the vast majority of Irish people don't want that - and are beginning to see RTÉ as an enemy of this nation.
They can feck off with their folky feel-good propaganda. It's a laugh sometimes to watch some of their output for the hiding behind the couch cringe. The Late Late Show Valentine's Day special is truly something else. The cream of the entertainment world could not script something that bad.

OP
OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Legend
Political Irish
Donator
They can feck off with their folky feel-good propaganda. It's a laugh sometimes to watch some of their output for the hiding behind the couch cringe. The Late Late Show Valentine's Day special is truly something else. The cream of the entertainment world could not script something that bad.

That's what you get when your staff are mostly inbred from a tiny (cess) pool.

El Chaval.

Respected Member
Political Irish
BBC comedy is not much better.
Those panel shows are wall to wall leftist liberal nonces mocking white working class voters who back UKIP or Brexit, or lazy anti-Trump rhetoric.

The best comedy in online. Usually from funny fuckers making their own videos or writing intelligent quips on the comments sections.

OP
OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Legend
Political Irish
Donator
BBC comedy is not much better.
Those panel shows are wall to wall leftist liberal nonces mocking white working class voters who back UKIP or Brexit, or lazy anti-Trump rhetoric.

The best comedy in online. Usually from funny fuckers making their own videos or writing intelligent quips on the comments sections.

I used to go to comedy clubs but then I stopped because it's the same there - comedians are censoring themselves so that they will be suitable for the BBC and RTÉ.

OP
OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Legend
Political Irish
Donator
Maybe, we're just getting old.

No doubt we are, but I know comedians who are totally against mass immigration, and make jokes about it in private, but wouldn't dare to do so in public. Their careers would be over immediately. This is a pressure that's coming down to the club level from the BBC and RTÉ.

GodsDog

Political Irish
Much of the line at RTE is dictated from Ballsbridge and from the unaccountable EU elite globalist propaganda manual.

Russia....blah blah......Assad must go.....blah blah....North Korea.....blah blah.....Duterte.....blah blah......Venezuela....blah blah....Gadaffi....blah blah.
Straight out of the arse of the state department and EU policy wonks mostly.

Cultural imperialism at it's finest. We are being assimilated by vapid US mongrel culture through our TVs.
Just listen to the kids talk these days if you want proof.

Every sentence is raised at the end in a question and peppered with the word "like"
and now many people here following american football and joining cheerleading groups FFS.

We're even starting to become a nation of fat ugly fucks just like the yanks!
We seem to worship idiot celebrities as much as they do these days
and all I hear/see around me are mindless PC knee jerk responses, identity politics and zombie consumerism.

All very sad!

El Chaval.

Respected Member
Political Irish
I grew up watching Jim Davidson, Alf Garnett, Bernard Manning etc.

Around tea-time Manning would be on the telly talking telling Pakistani jokes.
The sit-coms was almost entirely based on highlighting national stereotypes.
I think stereotypes are hilarious. Even when we are the butt of the humour.

I don't think Russel Brand has even made me smile, never mind laugh.

OP
OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Legend
Political Irish
Donator
I grew up watching Jim Davidson, Alf Garnett, Bernard Manning etc.

Around tea-time Manning would be on the telly talking telling Pakistani jokes.
The sit-coms was almost entirely based on highlighting national stereotypes.
I think stereotypes are hilarious. Even when we are the butt of the humour.

I don't think Russel Brand has even made me smile, never mind laugh.

This is a classic,

FUN da MENTALIST

Political Irish
some of the funniest people out there are on this site if u ask me. wud luv to see a sitcom based on the colonel, sword, irish warrior, roc, dogsgod and a few others here who all live in the same flat complex but dont know that their on line sparring partners live in the same building. the colonel lives in the basement and pisses everyone off by hanging his teabags out on the line for re-use and plays the korean national anthem full blast evry nite before he goes to bed. roc is actually a nice guy who fancies sword, dogs god is a big poodle and irish warrior is a little 90 year old lady who is always trying to jump on the colonels bones. and im the landlord from hell. now that bates brigid and eamon any day.

El Chaval.

Respected Member
Political Irish
some of the funniest people out there are on this site if u ask me. wud luv to see a sitcom based on the colonel, sword, irish warrior, roc, dogsgod and a few others here who all live in the same flat complex but dont know that their on line sparring partners live in the same building. the colonel lives in the basement and pisses everyone off by hanging his teabags out on the line for re-use and plays the korean national anthem full blast evry nite before he goes to bed. roc is actually a nice guy who fancies sword, dogs god is a big poodle and irish warrior is a little 90 year old lady who is always trying to jump on the colonels bones. and im the landlord from hell. now that bates brigid and eamon any day.

Yes, I visit Liveleak, Daily Mail and other places, not just to watch videos or read the news, but to read the comments.
They are certainly funny, but are a more accurate barometer of public opinion than say opinion polls.

Kershaw

Legend
Political Irish
I reckon someone smart could put together a comedy on youtube touching all the taboo topics and satirise the establishment while slaughtering their sacred cows. We can't be waiting for RTÉ to do it. Doesn't even have to be video. It could be in the mould of Scrap Saturday. Didn't Hardy Bucks start on youtube with little skits and nobody funding them.