1. To post you need to register an account and await approval. Click Here to sign up!

Windows 10 taking over the world?

Discussion in 'PC' started by rightthented, Feb 9, 2016.

1. rightthented

rightthented Member Political Irish

What is going on with Windows 10?

My Windows 7 Laptop screams at me every time I use it to upgrade to 10, using my PC Google Chrome just told me that my Vista Software will no longer be supported.

I read that Intel chips will only support Win 10 in the future and all new PC`s must be shipped with 10 only.

What is going on?

2. iusedmename

iusedmename New Political Irish

Their invasive tactics and the learning curve for Windows 10 pushed me to start using Linux. Can't say I regret it.

Fragarach likes this.
  3. OP
    rightthented

Yea, im considering going to linux myself for my internet use.  Will just unplug the other pcs from the net.

I dont mind upgrading to 10 but in not being told to do it.  This forceful nature would give me serious questions.

4. Belgrade

Belgrade Moderator Staff Member Moderator Donator Political Irish

10 is full of spyware, they can log on and even delete stuff without your consent.

If you look at the definitions of a virus, windows 10 ticks all the boxes.

Keep well away.

Fragarach likes this.
  5. Asif

Asif Member Political Irish

If your doing nothing wrong why would you be afraid of 10?

6. OP
    rightthented

Its about your right to privacy and self determination.

For instance you have no choice on updates, so if microsoft force an update and it crashes your machine and fecks stuff up then its your problem not theirs!

7. Neutron

Neutron Member Political Irish

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Windows 10 Worst Secret Spins Out Of Control...[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Back in November Microsoft confirmed Windows 10’s worst kept secret: its extensive telemetry (or ‘spying’ as it has been labelled) cannot be stopped. What no-one realized until now, however, is just how staggering the extent of this tracking really is… 

Blowing the lid on it this week is Voat user CheesusCrust whose extensive investigation found Windows 10 contacts Microsoft to report data thousands of times per day. And the kicker? This happens after choosing a custom Windows 10 installation and disabling all three pages of tracking options which are all enabled by default.

The raw numbers come out as follows: in an eight hour period Windows 10 tried to send data back to 51 different Microsoft IP addresses over 5500 times. After 30 hours of use, Windows 10 expanded that data reporting to 113 non-private IP addresses. Being non-private means there is the potential for hackers to intercept this data. I’d argue this is the greatest cost to owning Windows 10. 

Taking this a step further, the testing was then repeated on another Windows 10 clean installation again with all data tracking options disabled and third party tool DisableWinTracking was also installed which tries to shut down all hidden Windows 10 data reporting attempts. At the end of the 30 hour period Windows 10 had still managed to phone home with data 2758 times to 30 different IP addresses. 

the rest can be read at Forbes below...[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/02/09/windows-10-data-tracking-spying-levels/?utm_campaign=yahootix&partner=yahootix#2070141c7aa9[/font]

8. toadfish

toadfish New Political Irish

Fecking heap of shyte that is windows 10, just had a driver error and the whole damn laptop is fecked.

Now need to find Windows 7 disk to return to that.

9. Neutron

Windows 10 is Stealing Your Bandwidth (You Might Want to Delete It) Solution Included!

April 7, 2016 By 21wire

We’ve heard a lot of not so nice things about Microsoft’s latest spawn of MS DOS. Aside from the built-in trojan horse back door access uncovered earlier, this is probably the most insidious little side effect ever included in a software OS.

Along with the privacy features related to Wi-Fi Sense, Windows 10 users should check for another hidden by default feature that uses your network bandwidth to share updates with other Windows 10 users across the Internet.

. . . in order to cope up with the issue, Microsoft has baked a new feature into its latest desktop operating system that uses the torrent-style approach to obtain software updates, allowing Windows 10 users to download updates from other users.

http://21stcenturywire.com/2016/04/...g-your-bandwidth-you-might-want-to-delete-it/

Easily Control Automatic and Unwanted Windows 7 & 8.1 Upgrading to Windows 10

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

Many users of Windows 7 and 8.1 are happy with their current version of Windows, and have no wish to upgrade to Windows 10. There are many reasons for this, but among them is the fact that Windows 10 has become controversial due to Microsoft's evolution of their Windows operating system platform into a service which, among other things, aggressively monitors and reports on its users activities. This alone makes many users uncomfortable enough to cause them to choose to wait. In line with this, a few months into 2016, Windows 10 started displaying unsolicited advertisements on its users' desktops. Others dislike the changes Microsoft made by merging their failed “tiled” smartphone user-interface into the Windows UI. And, finally, some object to being force-fed whatever Microsoft wants and simply wish to choose for themselves.

The elegance of this “Never 10” utility, is that it does not
    install ANY software of its own. It simply and quickly
    performs the required system editing for its user.

If the system being configured has a version of Windows Update which is older than the required July 2015 release—which would mean that the required “upgrade disable” options are not yet present—this utility will notify its user (see the sample display screens above) and offer to download and install the required update to Windows Update so that Windows can then be configured not to upgrade itself to Windows 10.

Watch yourselves.

WINDOWS 10

All text typed on the keyboard is stored in temporary files, and sent (once per 30 mins) to:

oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
    pre.footprintpredict.com
    reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com

Telemetry is sent once per 5 minutes, to:

vortex.data.microsoft.com
    vortex-win.data.microsoft.com
    telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com
    telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
    oca.telemetry.microsoft.com
    sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com
    sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net

typing the name of any popular movie into your local file search starts a telemetry process that indexes all media files on your computer and transmits them to:

df.telemetry.microsoft.com
    cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net
    vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
    pre.footprintpredict.com

When a webcam is first enabled, ~35mb of data gets immediately transmitted to:

i1.services.social.microsoft.com
    i1.services.social.microsoft.com.nsatc.net

Everything that is said into an enabled microphone is immediately transmitted to:

pre.footprintpredict.com
    i1.services.social.microsoft.com
    i1.services.social.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
    telemetry.appex.bing.net
    telemetry.urs.microsoft.com
    cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net
    statsfe1.ws.microsoft.com

If this weren't bad enough, this behaviour still occurs after Cortana is fully disabled/uninstalled. It's speculated that the purpose of this function to build up a massive voice database, then tie those voices to identities, and eventually be able to identify anyone simply by picking up their voice, whether it be a microphone in a public place or a wiretap on a payphone.

Interestingly, if Cortana is enabled, the voice is first transcribed to text, then the transcription is sent to:

pre.footprintpredict.com
    df.telemetry.microsoft.com

While the inital reflex may be to block all of the above servers via HOSTS, it turns out this won't work: Microsoft has taken the care to hardcode certain IPs, meaning that there is no DNS lookup and no HOSTS consultation. However, if the above servers are blocked via HOSTS, Windows will pretend to be crippled by continuously throwing errors, while still maintaining data collection in the background. Other than an increase in errors, HOSTS blocking did not affect the volume, frequency, or rate of data being transmitted.
    [link to localghost.org]
    [link to aeronet.cz]

Tadhg Gaelach likes this.
  10. Neutron

How to Disable Windows Update Delivery Optimization (WUDO)?

You can disable the feature, but the option is buried deep in the Settings menu for Windows Update.
    [​IMG]
    To turn this feature OFF, follow these given steps:

• Go to Settings in the Start menu
    • Search for Update & Security
    • Under Windows Update, open Advanced Options
    • Under Choose How Updates are Installed, select Choose how updates are delivered
    • Disable the toggle under Updated from More than One Place

The feature is a good idea to speed up software updates, but enabling it by default without the knowledge of users is probably not at all a great idea.

In a statement, a Microsoft said that the feature "helps people get updates and apps more quickly if they have a limited or unreliable internet connection" and that it "doesn't slow down your internet connection" because it uses a "limited portion" of idle upload bandwidth.

Tadhg Gaelach, Belgrade and Superhans like this.
  11. Superhans

Superhans Site Admin Staff Member Site Admin Donator

Well I switched it off myself, had noticed that my Broadband connection appeared to be slowing down recently, hopefully this solves the problem.

12. Art

Art Member Political Irish Donator

I tried the Windows 10 update and found after a few days my internet connection wouldn't work at all. I restored Windows 7 and googled the issue. I found it is quite a common problem but with numerous causes and so numerous solutions. I figured rather than waste a chunk of my life beta testing and fixing Microsoft's shoddy spyware I will stick with Windows 7.

Tadhg Gaelach and rightthented like this.
  13. OP
    rightthented

Yep, did the same myself. 10 looks good but its so full of bugs ans spyware that i decided to go back to 7 which i found flawless.

The place where i work are upgrading all the PCs to 10, i told them it would be a mistake and already those who have been upgraded are complaining about 10 freezing etc.

Tadhg Gaelach and Art like this.
  14. Art

Art Member Political Irish Donator

Even the annoying daily popups asking you to schedule your 'Windows 10 update install' are very reminiscent of the behaviour of spyware. To prevent these I uninstalled Windows update KB3035583 in the Windows update program; this also removes the Windows 10 icon in the task bar, and to prevent it reinstalling itself on the next update I used the hide function.

Tadhg Gaelach and radioledger like this.
  15. radioledger

radioledger Legend Political Irish

Windows update KB3133977 is deadly

Microsoft Warns Windows 7 Has A Serious Problem

Earlier this year Microsoft MSFT +0.88% warned users that Windows 7 has serious problems. I dismissed its claims as a desperate attempt to shift copies of Windows 10 (and I still do), but now Microsoft has warned of a new serious Windows 7 problem that is very real – even though it makes no sense whatsoever…

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk...mpaign=yahootix&partner=yahootix#35bd9513395e

Now Microsoft is breaking Windows 7 to get users to upgrade to Windows 10

Microsoft has made a change to an update for Windows 7 that can prevent certain systems from booting. While you might expect me to say, "good news, the software giant has fixed the problem", in fact what Microsoft has done is switch the update from "optional", to "recommended". So, on some systems, it will now install, and break Windows 7 automatically.

http://betanews.com/2016/05/05/asus-secure-boot-windows-7-update/

Damn you windows!

Thats why i use Linux!

Tadhg Gaelach and jmcc like this.
  16. 2pacs

2pacs Member Donator Political Irish

The latest update from Microsoft has now provided them with a Key Logger. Time to reinstall Windows 7 I think.

It’s something that’s been around ever since the initial Windows 10 preview started infiltrating early adopters’ PCs - the Windows 10 keylogger. That’s maybe too emotive a title for it, but Microsoft is still capturing every single keypress tapped out on your keyboard.

If Microsoft are going to capture every keypress then make sure it’s on a great board. Check out our pick of the best gaming keyboards around today.

Microsoft uses the information to help inform their Cortana assistant, also storing everything you say and scribble using Windows’ Ink feature. They state that sending information on what you type to Microsoft will help “improve typing and writing in the future.”
    The fact they’re storing all this data has been highlighted once again by a reddit post covering the topic, but it’s straightforward enough to ditch. There is though no suggestion of any nefarious uses the big M are putting all your logged data towards, so there’s really no need to panic.

Keeping track of what you’re typing/writing/talking about to your PC all feeds into the rise of the virtual assistant, but if the thought of your machine and/or Microsoft remembering everything you’ve ever asked it then there are steps you can take to make sure it goes no further than your home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Microsoft’s Windows 10 keylogger, how to get rid and the Creators Update changes afoot