• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • To post you need to register an account and await approval. Click Here to sign up!

Xmas Movies.

maxflinn

Legend
Political Irish
Donator
Well it's that time of year I guess....

Inspired by the carry on on the North Korea thread I think I'll watch Groundhog Day :cool:

Another Xmas favourite of mine is Bad Santa.

It's A Wonderful Life is lovely but for me best watched on Xmas Eve or close to it.

Any favs?

Tadhg Gaelach

Legend
Political Irish
Donator

Inspired by the carry on on the North Korea thread I think I'll watch Groundhog Day :cool:

Another Xmas favourite of mine is Bad Santa.

It's A Wonderful Life is lovely but for me best watched on Xmas Eve or close to it.

Any favs?

Yes, It's a Wonderful Life really does stand out. It's strangely difficult to think of any else on that level. Most Christmas movies are very crass money making operations.

OP
OP
maxflinn

maxflinn

Legend
Political Irish
Donator
Yes, It's a Wonderful Life really does stand out. It's strangely difficult to think of any else on that level. Most Christmas movies are very crass money making operations.
Yeah I think it's my favourite. Maybe it's because it's so old, but it seems more authentic than most if that makes sense. It has that charm about it.

Tadhg Gaelach

Legend
Political Irish
Donator
Yeah I think it's my favourite. Maybe it's because it's so old, but it seems more authentic than most if that makes sense. It has that charm about it.

Very true a chara, and it has a great deal of social commentary that has become even more relevant as time has passed. I don't want to take this thread off topic, but I mentioned on the Mick Wallace thread about Irish banks now selling home loans to foreign vulture funds and leaving Irish people in the power of people they never even heard of. Anyone watching It's a Wonderful Life today can't but be struck by the difference between a community bank who's asset is the community and its spirit - and the vile criminality that passes for banking today.

OP
OP
maxflinn

maxflinn

Legend
Political Irish
Donator
Very true a chara, and it has a great deal of social commentary that has become even more relevant as time has passed. I don't want to take this thread off topic, but I mentioned on the Mick Wallace thread about Irish banks now selling home loans to foreign vulture funds and leaving Irish people in the power of people they never even heard of. Anyone watching It's a Wonderful Life today can't but be struck by the difference between a community bank who's asset is the community and its spirit - and the vile criminality that passes for banking today.
A very good observation Tadhg, and I totally agree.

Tadhg Ó Raghallaigh

Political Irish
Donator
This snippet is from Joyeux Noël, a film about the 1914 Christmas truce. Although it is fanciful in many parts, overall it showed that there still existed (at least at the beginning) rules of war and that men could be humane to one another in the face of unmitigated slaughter and carnage:

Last edited:

Tadhg Ó Raghallaigh

Political Irish
Donator
The banks and the military-industrial complex are truly public enemies one and two. How many lives have they jettisoned into the sewer for the almighty dollar/euro/pound?

2pacs

Donator
Political Irish
Elf is always good for a laugh, The Mrs loves Love Actually, for the Kids on Christmas Eve its Polar Express.

But as above nothing can beat It's a Wonderful Life, even has a Spiritual side to it.

El Chaval.

Respected Member
Political Irish
Bill Murray's Scrooge is a nice family movie and still funny in 2017.
There was a time in my life when the Wizard of Oz seemed to be broadcast every feckin' Christmas. Not a Christmas movie per se, but it always reminds me of childhood Christmas.

My fave would have to be National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation with Chevy Chase.

Youngdan

Staff member
Political Irish
Donator

Inspired by the carry on on the North Korea thread by Taidge I think I'll watch

Fully agree Max,he has inspired me to watch these two good movies for Christmas.

Riker1969

Political Irish
Bill Murray's Scrooge is a nice family movie and still funny in 2017.
There was a time in my life when the Wizard of Oz seemed to be broadcast every feckin' Christmas. Not a Christmas movie per se, but it always reminds me of childhood Christmas.

My fave would have to be National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation with Chevy Chase.
Yea, I remember that. Every Christmas had the Wizard of Ozz and Star Wars a new hope.

Still, have a warm place for National Lampoons Christmas Vacation.

amsterdemmetje

Political Irish
3 words for ye. Walk ing tall. Loosly based on myself the rock gives his best performance ever in it and that's saying a lot.
I'm going to watch it at least 4 times over Christmas. Will have to cut back on my online posting though because of it .

Superhans

Site Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
This snippet is from Joyeux Noël, a film about the 1914 Christmas truce. Although it is fanciful in many parts, overall it showed that there still existed (at least at the beginning) rules of war and that men could be humane to one another in the face of unmitigated slaughter and carnage:

This is on RTE over Christmas,

CINE TWO: JOYEUX NOEL
RTÉ Two

Thursday December 25th Christmas Day 23:30pm

Starring: Diane Kruger, Natalie Dessay, Benno Furmann, Rolando Villazon and Guillame Canet
This movie is inspired by a true story, which happened during the first World War on Christmas Eve 1914. That night a momentous event will turn the destinies of four characters; an Anglican priest, a French lieutenant, an exceptional tenor and the one he loves – a wonderful soprano and singing partner. During this Christmas Eve, the unthinkable will happen; rifles will be left at the bottom of the trenches to go to see those opposite, shake their hands, exchange a cigarette and a piece of chocolate and wish them a “Joyeux Noel.”
With English Subtitles

Tadhg Gaelach

Legend
Political Irish
Donator
I reckon any Elvis movie for Christmas Day - Viva Los Vegas is my favorite. Or a concert movie.